Rohloff

Formula R1 Review

For what it's worth, I ride Juicy 7's. They've worked great for me for many years. I haven't ever thought of replacing them.

I just got back from Outerbike where I got to ride a lot of bikes. I really wasn't there to evaluate brakes, but I did ride a couple of bikes with Formula R1 brakes and they really stood out to me. I'm not one to nitpick components a lot. All the other brakes on the other bikes were fine. It's just somehow the R1's really impressed me. I'm sure some of it is personal preference, but they just fit right (I have relatively small hands) and had real nice modulation.

I've got no plans of replacing something that's not broke, but my next bike will have Formula R1's or something very similar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    At the Formula the backlash between boottrees is less?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

R1's are great, but

The One's are even better. With great modulation (control), there is no such things as too much braking power. They weigh about an ounce more.
    Lots of great brakes, but (IMO) Formula's are just better.
    Cheers,

Kane

ps. I couldn't ride because of forearm tendonitis and when I switched to Formula I got rid of the forearm pain and came to appreciate ONE FINGER BRAKING!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've also heard some awesome things about The One's. Any issues with fade? I'm looking for a new set of brakes for my sunday.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by dtc81 View Post
    I've also heard some awesome things about The One's. Any issues with fade? I'm looking for a new set of brakes for my sunday.
    I didn't push the R1s long and hard enough to comment on fade, but I really doubt it would be a problem. The Ones should be even better. Brakes have gotten sooooo good. Even my moderately rated Juicy 7s on my XC bike have given me zero problems on some of the longdownhill runs I've done on trails like The Whole Enchilada.

The White Jeff W
    Im running the RX's on my 29er. Love 'em!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I run The Ones on my bike and have never had any fade in two years of use. Far and away the best brakes I have ever ridden. The bike is a Mojo HD with 180/160 rotors.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I just got a pair, anyone know how to control the modulation on the R1?

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    I've been running The Ones on my 29'er WFO for about a year now. They just flat out work. I bought them after spending coin in 2009 on a set of Formula MeGa's, which are kind of baby TheOnes.

Setting Formula's up takes some shimming on both sides, I use thickness gauges on one side, usually a .005" to .008" feeler gauge, cinch it down, a little on each side, 3 or 4 x to up the torque, and it's good to go.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to get new R1's on my 2011 Epic Carbon. Either that or X0's I can't decide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have both, choice is simple, R1. The stopping power and feel is incredible. Until I rode them, I didn't know what good brakes were.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    I just got a pair, anyone know how to control the modulation on the R1?
    Huh? With your finger....pulling the lever more applies more pressure at the calliper which slows you down more. Simples!

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by foogotz View Post
    I have both, choice is simple, R1. The stopping power and feel is incredible. Until I rode them, I didn't know what good brakes were.
    I agree. I've squeezed a lot of brakes and never thought much of them until I got a hold of a couple of R1s.

mtbr member
    Wow! With those kind of reviews I guess I know what I'll be ordering tomorrow from my LBS!! Thanks guys.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    I have never had a brake that I could feather to the edge of skidding , and release, for maximum braking effect, until I got my Formula MeGa's. After riding with MeGa's on my RIP, it was a given that my WFO would get MeGa's or TheOnes. Great brakes will save you from other breaks.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    My 2011 Formula R1's were installed tonight, AMAZING brakes!!!!! I have to say, these are worth every penny. The cardboard box they come in weighs MORE than the brakes themselves!! I'm not kidding, my shop actually weighed them. They are beautifully made, and stop amazingly well. Lever feel is like nothing I've ever used. Modulation is perfect. The rotors are beautifully made. worth every penny guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Any tips on getting the R1's dialed, I can't seem to get the rear to stop rubbing? Rotors are brand new and straight.

Front works great. I have been on Forumula Oro Puros for years and got the R1's for my new bike. PS I love them, they are light, powerful and modulate well, only a few rides so far. Just can't get the rear to stop rubbing. Only complaint is lever reach for my small hands, they don't seem to adjust in as far as Oro Puro's.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear this about the Formula Brakes. They are stock on the new bike I am looking and and was unsure of them. Only used XTR and Avid Elixer in the past.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    Any tips on getting the R1's dialed, I can't seem to get the rear to stop rubbing? Rotors are brand new and straight.

Front works great. I have been on Forumula Oro Puros for years and got the R1's for my new bike. PS I love them, they are light, powerful and modulate well, only a few rides so far. Just can't get the rear to stop rubbing. Only complaint is lever reach for my small hands, they don't seem to adjust in as far as Oro Puro's.
    Check for end play in the wheel bearings front and rear first, especially if you are not running a new wheelset with these brakes.

I usually set my The Ones up with an .005" feeler gauge on one side while snugging the bolts that hold the brakes on gently 3 or 4x each, gradually going up on the amount of torque.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member

The rubbing thing with the R1s is really frustrating.

I've had them for about a year and a half - they are obviously light, and very powerful. But I've never liked the (lack of) modulation, and they have been noisy since day one, despite trying 3 different pad types. But the nail in the coffin is the tiny amount of pad clearance compared to other brakes.

I recently replaced the R1s on my main bike with new XTR Trails, and they are worlds better IMHO.

I now have the R1s on a snow bike, so if anyone can tell me how to gain a little pad clearance, I'd be hugely grateful.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Would never buy R1's again unless the reach problem is properly addressed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

reach

Could you elaborate on the reach problem please?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    PS I did contact Folmula about my rubbing, they thought the master cylinder might of been overfilled with fluid. I did push calipers apart, put the blue "spacer" in and opened the master cylinder, squeezed the brake a few times quickly and a tiny bit of fluid came out. I have only ridden once since but it seemed to of done the trick, no rubbing!

Curious about "the reach problem" too, I wonder what that means. The only thing I can think of is that even with the levers all the way close they are still pretty far out compared to my Oro brakes so for small hands they are pushing it for distance??

The White Jeff W
    PS I did contact Folmula about my rubbing, they thought the master cylinder might of been overfilled with fluid. I did push calipers apart, put the blue "spacer" in and opened the master cylinder, squeezed the brake a few times quickly and a tiny bit of fluid came out. I have only ridden once since but it seemed to of done the trick, no rubbing!

Curious about "the reach problem" too, I wonder what that means. The only thing I can think of is that even with the levers all the way close they are still pretty far out compared to my Oro brakes so for small hands they are pushing it for distance??

That was going to be my suggestion.I had a similar problem with my ORO's after a bleed and letting out a little fluid fixed it.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I recently upgraded to R1's and my LBS installed the brakes and I have been fighting squealing from the rear since day one. I contacted Formula describing the type of riding I do during the winter months, lot's of steep fireroads and fast descents. They suggested switching to sintered over organics, which I did. I went through the recommended bed in process and went on my first ride. Wow, they squealed worse than the organics...lol. This is starting to get very frustrating and I'm hoping to get this figured out soon.