mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Formula R1 Pad Clearance

I always have trouble with the clearance on the front R1 brake. Has anyone found a solution this? I have rotor rub during every ride regardless of how well the brake is aligned.

mtbr member
    My suggestion is to check the post mount area of the caliper. I was having some issues with the pads rubbing upon using the proper torque setting. What I found was the caliper itself was slightly deforming because of how radically machined / forged with such little material. The deformation was making it so every time I was trying to torque the caliper or slide it side to side, the caliper would bolt down in the same position.

A couple of swipes of a round file later and the caliper was clean and ready to be torqued. Voila, no more issues. I will note that I am running them about 10in-lbs lower on torque than I do with other calipers which are beefier in that area.

I also have heard of people having piston retraction issues due to a tight fit/lack of lubrication on the piston and seals but haven't run into any issues there myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    something else to check, the post mount itself may not be flush and may need to be faced. Just had this problem with R1/Reba interface.

I'm Slow
    I think it might just the fact that the rotor is kinda flimsy. I noticed in truing the rotor that it bends really easy. With my avid rotors I have to bend a bit harder to get it straight. But I have the same problem.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.