mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Formula R1 or The One

Wondering if anyone has had experience with both the R1 and The One brakes. I had been meaning to change out the Juicy 7s' that came on my Giant Trance XO for a little while now. I really am not experienced enough to know what the real story is but the amount of riding I do and the hills I am on may just be more than the 7s' can handle. I have tried new pads, bleeding, cleaning the rotors etc etc. The real problem is that I have lost confidence in them and that is no way to ride. the fronts are stickly with little modulation available and the rears are squishy and getting worse all the time no matter what I do.

So as it happens I have a set of Formula The One brakes and R1 brakes and can install either set at this point. I have a pair of 180 rotors and will use them regardless of which brake set I install. I bought The One set in something of a knee jerk reaction figuring that they would really slay the beast as far as confidence in the amount of braking power available to me. Ultimately figured the weight savings and looks of the R1 made more sense since they are a purpose built XC brake.

I mainly do trail riding here in hilly New Hampshire and ride for fun and exercise. So I usually log between 10-15 miles a day on what amounts to daily training rides. I will ride in the wet so long as it is not a downpour. Any recomendations between the R1 and The One for my Trance XO?

Thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just changed out my J7's on my Trance X0 about a month ago with formula R1's 180/160.
    While I try not to "classify" my riding style, my intended purpose for my build was everything from XC to light AM riding. No extended downhills and I love riding up.

I haven't taken them on any serious AM riding yet (I have a trip planned for the rockies in about a week), so mainly XC/trail riding so far. I am ashamed to say that I only have around 6 hours put onto these new brakes, but newborn twins will do that to you .

I really like the R1's so far, even right out of the box they were as good as/better than the J7's. As the pads/rotors break in the performance keeps improving. I find the modulation to be very good, even though some complain of an on/off feeling. So far I feel confident that they will suit me for my riding, although if I were to do any longer DH style runs I might get worried as they are an XC brake.

I don't have any experience with the One's, but they are on the opposite spectrum (DH brake) of the R1's. I would imagine that for "hilly" riding the R1's would be good and the One's would be overkill.

*edit* the one complaint I have so far is the leaking of the DOT fluid from the MC weep holes. This will ultimately damage my bars and I am hoping formula will come out for a fix soon. There is a thread that has been started in this sub-forum that you can check out. As I didn't want to send my brakes away b/c of my upcoming trip, I temporarily shimmed a plastic strip under the bar mount to protect my bars. While this is a ghetto/temp. solution, it will work until the end of the season. I am a little disappointed that this problem is there, but hopefully formula can come through for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Civil,

That was exactly the kind of input I was looking to get.

While I am sure I am doing light ridding compared to many that frerquent this site once you start to ride every day the miles start to pile up. Maybe the J7s' will stand up to casual riding but have trouble with much beyond that. Hoping the Formulas resolve that for me.
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the R1s, but have a pair of Ones on my big bike, and they'd be totally overkill for an XC bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think I will be happy with the R1 brakes.R1s' with the larger 180 rotors should be a substantial improvement. I weigh about 175. When you think about how small these components are the fact that they stop guys like me from flying down the hill is kinda' amazing. The 7s' were the standard Giant configuration when I bought the bike and are probably just fine in most cases. I think I taxed them beyond what they could really handle and needed to make this change at some point.

g3h6o3
    You know the Megas are basically the same as the Ones right? The main difference is 1 piece caliper & tool-free reach adjust - big deal!

I'm using Mega's and they are very good. Extremely powerful so it's an easy 1 finger braking. I also like hte lever feel, good starting modulation and when it start to bit you get exponential power. Overall awesome brake but sensitive to good blled & setup. Can't talk about the R1's though.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm reviewing a set of R1's presently and have been putting them through the paces. They are a fantastic brake, gobs of power and super light. As an all mountain/trail bike brake they are top notch, and that's exactly what they are designed for. I took them a bit out of their intended purpose this weekend for a couple of Whistler park days and the small lever body and fluid capacity started to show some weakness. Long sustained steep sections resulted in brake fade and the lever coming right into the bars. It would only take a few seconds to recover, but it was there. I don't see this as an actual fault in the brakes, DH use and bike parks are what the One is made for.

So if you use them in their intended use, I think they are about the best thing out there.