junea memba!
    Apr 2006

Formula R1 Brake Question

I have an '08 Stumpjumper FSR with 185 and 203 rotors, rear and front. The bike comes with Avid juicy 7's and adapters to fit the larger rotors. If, say, money were to rain from the sky and I were to find a pair of Formula R1's for sale...would they fit on the same adapters that were used for the Juicys...

or am I gonna be stuck in adapter heck?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If money was raining from the sky, then get the R1 2 piece rotor. It comes with an adapter. They will save you a decent amount of weight and look bling.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    ah, sorry. I meant the adapters for the calipers. The Juicy calipers have an adapter piece that puts each one in the correct range for the larger rotor. Will this caliper adapter work with the R1 calipers?

I truly like the larger-size rotors that come with the stock brakes, and was going to keep the rotor size...probably change the rotors out for alligators or something.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by luker
    ah, sorry. I meant the adapters for the calipers. The Juicy calipers have an adapter piece that puts each one in the correct range for the larger rotor. Will this caliper adapter work with the R1 calipers?

I truly like the larger-size rotors that come with the stock brakes, and was going to keep the rotor size...probably change the rotors out for alligators or something.
    Well, avid goes 160, 185, 203
    Formula goes 160, 180, 200

So, you probably could not get the r1s to work with an avid rotor and formula adapter. (edit: maybe with the 160 mm)

It's possible to use the avid adapter, but avid uses the cps system and their adapter is set up for that. So, I cant say for sure.

You could be the first to try, and if it doesnt work, you can get the R1 rotors and adapters to make things work. Keep in mind formula does nto make an R1 rotor in 200 mm that I have seen, only 180 and 160. Their Oro rotor comes in 200, but is heavier.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 04-08-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

junea memba!
    Apr 2006
    I have used disc brakes for several years, but haven't paid much attention to how they actually work...excuse my ignorance.

I much appreciate the information. I have done some more reading, and these brakes sound like the schniz, even ignoring the very large weight savings (looks like 240 grams or more, a ton in weight weenie speak) After taxes are done, I'm going to shop for a set -

I haven't seen an offer where the R1 Rotors weren't included...so there's a fallback plan.

If I understand correctly, the front Avid adapter that specialized is using (as an example) moves the Avid caliper out from the mount so that it can work with a 203 rotor. The crap shoot is that the rotor caliper may have a different spacing and so not close on the rotor, even after using the Avid adapter, right?

Or does the arc of the rotor have to match the brake caliper, somehow?