mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Formula R1 Brake Noise

Its driving me nuts. I've centered the caliper a couple times, and given them plenty of time to bed in. They work awesome but they're just so loud. I'm actually thinking of putting some of that "brake-quiet" stuff from car disc brakes on the backs of the pads.

Any other good remedies for fixing the noise?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    white out on the back of the pads. yes i'm a hillbilly
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    White out eh? I'll give it a shot I guess.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Well that's a bummer, they got xtr brakes to fix the problem with their formulas?

Barfed
    Jun 2007
    No, BT just hates on Formula every chance he gets. Why don't you try calling the Formula guys. They were really good with helping me figure out my issues when I was having noise problems. Some bikes/wheels/brakes just aren't good with each other. I switched to the sintered pads and it fixed things.

I have ridden the Shimanos and still stick with my Formulas, the Shimanos are good brakes, but they just can't match the power of the R1s in my opinion.

NotoriousMHz
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    Its driving me nuts. I've centered the caliper a couple times, and given them plenty of time to bed in. They work awesome but they're just so loud. I'm actually thinking of putting some of that "brake-quiet" stuff from car disc brakes on the backs of the pads.

Any other good remedies for fixing the noise?
    Can you describe which kind of noise your are experiencing? High pitched squeal, howling, turkey gobbling, etc? Is it only while braking or when not braking (no gap/rotor riding against pad)?

I've had a heck of a time trying to get rid of non stop howling (sounded like braking with a wet rim brake) on both of my bikes that have Formula RX brakes and have tried a lot of different remedies like cleaning disc and pads with brake cleaner, also with 99% isopropyl alcohol, burning off any containments in the oven, have properly bled them, tried two different Formula sintered, and also EBC organic pads, different set of rotors, Squealout brake treatment, and any other trick I read about, none of them worked.

Since my Epic was still new and I've been talking to my bike shop about this issue, they went ahead and ordered me a complete XT Kit to replace the Formulas. I decided to give one last set of pads a shot since they are dirt cheap and remembered that they worked excellent on my Trek 6500 when I replaced the stock pads. I ordered a pair of Kevlar Pads form discobrakes.com and after I bed them in so far with about 20 miles on them, there isn't any howling at all and have excellent power! I already ordered another set for my stumpy. At $12.34 a pair, I really wish I would have tried these first and saved some cash.

(If the noise returns down the road with more miles i will edit this post.)
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boyslikedirt View Post
    No, BT just hates on Formula every chance he gets. Why don't you try calling the Formula guys. They were really good with helping me figure out my issues when I was having noise problems. Some bikes/wheels/brakes just aren't good with each other. I switched to the sintered pads and it fixed things.

I have ridden the Shimanos and still stick with my Formulas, the Shimanos are good brakes, but they just can't match the power of the R1s in my opinion.
    blow me retard.

the forum is for us to give our opinions and my opinion is that the newer formula brakes have too tight of a pad gap.

if you have a way to fix that then let us know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The noise is during braking, and its a deeper pitched sound, like a bellow rather than a squeal. And the weird thing is that the brakes work awesome, they're just so loud!

And bt, it seems like there's plenty of space between the rotors and the pad, so I haven't seen that problem.

mtbr member
    The noise is more than likely being caused by the vibrations of the brake pads. Try the anti vibe grease for car brakes and/or try organic brake pads. My k24 brakes did it too but only on the rear. The grease helped a lot but I am still getting some organic brake pads.
    Clarks Formula Oro Disc Brake Pads | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    For that price, why not try them?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had the same problem, both front and back brakes very loud squeel.Was very dissapointed in these brakes, I ride in dry conditions only, exchanged the standard organic pads for:

Both found on amazon

Front:Kool Stop Replacement Bicycle Disc Brake Pads . No squeel and just great pads

Rear: RavX Formula the One, Semi-Metal Disc Pads. No squeel, not as much grab as the organics, feels like you are getting a bit more modulation, wich is great for a reat wheel.

Also ordered a pair of original formula sintered pads, found no need to try them yet, veryh happy with these pads.

Once again I ride in only dry conditions, Socal has seen no rain yet.

I'm with stupid
    my rear K24 is doing this to me right now. Its almost embarrassing how much noise it makes. I think I will try the white out or anti noise stuff for car brakes.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    my rear K24 is doing this to me right now. Its almost embarrassing how much noise it makes. I think I will try the white out or anti noise stuff for car brakes.
    Alfa and omega of the each brake setup regardless of the brand is to make caliper parallel to the rotor, otherwise even small non-parallelism vibrates the rotor and squeals. My R1's squeal neither with original pads nor with KoolStop's (however see the brake setup comments).