mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Formula ORO Reviews/Feedback?

Any reviews or feedback on the Formula OROs yet?

I've been waiting to hear some feedback on these brakes for months. On paper, they look like a very good brake, but I'm having a hard time finding any user feedback at all.

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker
    Any reviews or feedback on the Formula OROs yet?

I've been waiting to hear some feedback on these brakes for months. On paper, they look like a very good brake, but I'm having a hard time finding any user feedback at all.
    do a forum search; a couple of people have posted comments (positive ones at that) about these brakes.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    do a forum search; a couple of people have posted comments (positive ones at that) about these brakes.
    Yeah, Max did a pretty good review on them when he first got 'em in December. He's still lovin' them, as am I.

I got mine about a month ago with my new rig and they really are mindblowing. Remember, these are a complete redesign for 05. I've played around with Martas on another bike and I think the Oros have better lever feel and modulation...true one finger brake lockup, too.

My rear brake, however, quickly developed a pretty obtrusive howl...not a squeel...a howl. Pretty obnoxious. My bike's back in the shop with Fox fork issues, but the wrench at my LBS noticed a light pad misalignment that he said he'd take care of. I'm not too worried about the noise, yet. They're new and it takes a bit to get everything on a new bike all tweaked, dialed in, and adjusted.

I'm liking my Oros a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    Yeah, Max did a pretty good review on them when he first got 'em in December. He's still lovin' them, as am I.

I got mine about a month ago with my new rig and they really are mindblowing. Remember, these are a complete redesign for 05. I've played around with Martas on another bike and I think the Oros have better lever feel and modulation...true one finger brake lockup, too.

My rear brake, however, quickly developed a pretty obtrusive howl...not a squeel...a howl. Pretty obnoxious. My bike's back in the shop with Fox fork issues, but the wrench at my LBS noticed a light pad misalignment that he said he'd take care of. I'm not too worried about the noise, yet. They're new and it takes a bit to get everything on a new bike all tweaked, dialed in, and adjusted.

I'm liking my Oros a lot.
    What size rotors do you have? I saw a review in a German mountain biking magazine that tested quite a few brakes and the OROs were rated the best brake overall. However, I think it was with the 180mm and/or 200mm rotors. It looked like they got very bad ratings with 160mm rotors, but I'm not sure because I don't read German (it looked like they got a 1 out of 6 for brake fade on one of the charts). But with the 180mm rotors there were no problems with brake fade (5 out of 6). It seems strange that there would be that much difference. I'm primarily interested in the 160mm rotors, but I would consider the 180mm if there was that much difference.

Thanks.

Recovering couch patato
    I saw handmade proto's of the ORO a bit voer a year ago at the Garda festival, looked impressive then already.

Perhaps, if the brake power is that good, they get so more energy from the bike, that the perhaps relatively light 160mm just can't cope with the heat? I bet if someone made a 203mm rotor the weight of a 160mm, it would fade just as quickly.

Epic rider

Problem was 160 mm rotor on front ...

... that bended sideways for about 6 mm after getting really hot during testing.
    Response from Formula was that they have never experienced this, but would look into it.
    I have just installed my new Oro's, replacing my Louise FR's, and are very satisfied with them after only 1 ride ;-)
    The Louise kept having problems with sticky pistons, after cleaning and "working the pistons" they worked for about a month, after which the problems started over again...
    Hopefully the Oro's are better in that area!

rapsaC

Epic rider

Good job! Formula has great service!

Ok, so I had a problem with my brakes... not to happy after one month of use.
    My brake levers would not return anymore, you had to push them back manually.
    Oiled/lubricated the hinges, sprayed some silicon but to no avail.
    Contacted Formula Italy, who said contact the Dutch importer/distributor (I live in The Netherlands). Distributor had no spare parts, could not do anything (would not?) for me.
    So, contacted Formula Italy again, who then offered to repair the brakes themselves. I sent them to Italy and they came back within a week or so! (Alas to late to be used during my vacation at the Lake Garda...)
    Great service Formula, thanks again!

Rapsac