mtbr member
    Jun 2011

formula oro puro

hey im thinking about buying some formula oro puros but i was wondering whether i needed an adapter or not. and what is the adapter for? sorry im a newbie

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter82 View Post
    hey im thinking about buying some formula oro puros but i was wondering whether i needed an adapter or not. and what is the adapter for? sorry im a newbie
    What type and how many depend totally on the type of mounts that you have on the frame and fork, and what size rotors you intend to use. There are two types of mounts used for frames and forks, Post Mount and International Standard (IS) mounts. A post mount is just what it sounds like, a post that sticks straight out from the frame or fork and has holes drilled and tapped directly into the post the long way. Most modern forks use post mount, but there are still older forks and some low end forks out there that use IS. An IS mount is two tabs spaced 54mm apart with unthreaded holes bored through them width wise. IS mounts are the most common frame mounts, but there are a few frames out there that use them, they are rare though.

Knowing what type mounts your frame and fork have (if you are not sure a picture would help) and the size rotors you intend to use would get you a definitive answer.

With the information you currently have posted I can only tell you for certain that you will likely need at least one adapter, and possibly two.

As for what they are for. And adapter, if needed, is mounted to the mounting tabs or posts and then the caliper is mounted to the adapter. This is needed to properly position the caliper over the rotor. The adapter is sized specifically for the diameter of the rotor being used.

Like I said, more info would get you a more specific answer.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"