mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Formula Oro Problems

Hoping someone can give me some advice as I read over on bikeforums.net that there are a few people that know about forumla oros over on this site....

I have the oro puros and have not long got them back from warranty replacement (rear lever stopped returning). Having put them back on the bike and bled them the front is perfect, but the rear lever moves a lot further toward the bars than the front. Brake works but the lever just doesn't feel right.

Took them into my LBS and we both bled them again (with a few problems along the way) but didn't really spend that much time over it.

Am planning on bleeding again this weekend but was hoping someone maybe had some pointers or tips for these brakes. They basically feel like there's not enough fluid in there at the moment.

Any ideas ??

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Check position of FCS lever? Cause it what it does, changes leverage ratio.

I know that would be too obvious, but sometimes peoples miss it
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thats the one just at the end of the lever blade isn't it? Tried it at both extremes, when set to the same as the front brake its not quite right, when set at the other extreme its worse

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As above, try the FCS adjuster first. Remember the F&R levers are the same so the FCS adjusters should not point in the same direction e.g. 'up' if you want the same lever feel. Screw in FCS clockwise for less lever travel, back off anti-clockwise for more lever travel.

If this fails, it could be because your caliper pistons need 'resetting' in their seals:

Pump the brake lever very quickly, you should find the lever firms up a little and lever travel reduces. Without letting go of the lever, ziptie the lever to the bar and leave overnight.

I leave my K24 levers like this when I'm not on the bike and it ensures lever feel is always the same F&R.

Plan B is to remove the wheel and pump the lever a couple of times (2-3) to move the caliper pistons in a little. You might have to push them back if your brake rubs though so try the above trick first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB
    Remember the F&R levers are the same so the FCS adjusters should not point in the same direction e.g. 'up' if you want the same lever feel. Screw in FCS clockwise for less lever travel, back off anti-clockwise for more lever travel.
    Genius!! Completely forgot that the levers are the same and have had the FCS set in what looked like the same positions, but gave no thought to the need for a one up on down style setting. I imagine this will help a bit but I don't think it will eliminate the problem. Will check this later

Pump the brake lever very quickly, you should find the lever firms up a little and lever travel reduces. Without letting go of the lever, ziptie the lever to the bar and leave overnight.
    Will also try this, but does this yield permanent results or is this something that has to be done on a regular basis?

I leave my K24 levers like this when I'm not on the bike and it ensures lever feel is always the same F&R.
    Is this after doing the pumping procedure you described earlier? Or just zip tie the lever into the closed position after a ride and then leave till next time? If the bike were to be unused for 2 to 3 months would it still be ok to do this ?

Thanks for all your advice so far. Will try these suggestions before attempting your Plan B!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Will also try this, but does this yield permanent results or is this something that has to be done on a regular basis?
    It'll need doing every so often as the pads will wear and lever feel may change.Lots of forum reports of K24/K18s changing lever travel/feel as the pads wear and this trick stops it from happening.

I pump the levers a few times before tying them to the bar between each ride.
    Plus it means I can store the bike upside down (ensuring fork bushings stay lubed with oil) without the risk of an air bubble getting into the brake hose from the lever reservoir.

Providing you don't squeeze the levers too tightly with the ziptie and put excess pressure on the seals, I can't see a problem leaving the levers like this for a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice one, thanks. Will try all of this over the weekend and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed!!

Did as you suggested and left it zip tied overnight and the lever felt just about perfect this morning Sadly don't get to go riding this weekend so have cabled it back up (and done the same to the front lever even though this one was fine) and put it back in the garage till next weekend.

Looks a lot like the problem is solved though. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by jj260676; 05-03-2009 at 07:19 AM.