Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rider and Wrench

Formula Oro K24 and Shimano XTR Shifters...Rant

I was super excited to install my Formula Oro K-24's and when I was putting on the levers they did not play nice with my XTR shifters. At first I thought oh, well change the set up to shifters inboard.... nope. I flipped them around 7 ways to Sunday and still could not find a mix that worked for me. I reinstalled my Juicy 7's and am waiting for some Elix-CRs...
    I know everyone has a set-up preference but the shape of the clamp along with the shape of the lever blade on the Oro K24's does not allow them to mesh well with the XTR shifters(even with the slide adjustment on the new XTR's). If you run the brakes outside your shifters the lever is way too far to the end of the bar, you are gripping above the intended area, vice versa and the shifter body has to be twisted like 30 degrees down from the brake lever- AHH

Formula had some influence on the original Juicy 7's and now I think they make a "match maker" for sram shifter but is this some sort of embargo!

Am I the only one who has run into this?
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Live 2 Ride
    Sure is nice to hear a rant about parts us average joes can't afford.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Rider and Wrench

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Sure is nice to hear a rant about parts us average joes can't afford.
    e

Joe I am not, Dave I am- Thanks for the invaluable input, Iam actually running a 1X9 so I only have one XTR shifter so I guess that's about the same affordability as a set of LX or SLX- Same song different dance. When it comes down to it is still about the ride not the parts-

Live 2 Ride
    Wish it was that way around here. In my club you are judged by what parts you ride.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Wish it was that way around here. In my club you are judged by what parts you ride.
    Kona0197, way off topic...but you started on it

We all get caught up in it- but like you I ride/have ridden with guys that have Tricked out super or what ever bling bike and they don't even know how to shift gears, never stop tweaking this or that and blame the botched climb on the bike- then you have the guy on his old Rockhopper who never stops, never complains and can outride the best of us- Still riding canti brakes and 7 speeds and a smile from ear to ear.

I am not knocking quality parts and I like them as much as the next guy but until you get past the parts it is hard to really enjoy the ride-

Easier Said than done- and now back to the brakes-

Live 2 Ride
    My apologies...

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yes I ran into the same problem.

I have the formula oro puros with xtr shifters.

Come on, dare me!
    I have XTR shifters with Oro Puros and no such problem. Will take a few pics to show you my set-up so that you can tell me if yours (was) the same.

Jerome

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

oro

I'm thinking of changing out my Hayes soles for K-24s. Do the K-24s have the same problem with XT shifters?

Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I was super excited to install my Formula Oro K-24's and when I was putting on the levers they did not play nice with my XTR shifters. At first I thought oh, well change the set up to shifters inboard.... nope. I flipped them around 7 ways to Sunday and still could not find a mix that worked for me. I reinstalled my Juicy 7's and am waiting for some Elix-CRs...
    I know everyone has a set-up preference but the shape of the clamp along with the shape of the lever blade on the Oro K24's does not allow them to mesh well with the XTR shifters(even with the slide adjustment on the new XTR's). If you run the brakes outside your shifters the lever is way too far to the end of the bar, you are gripping above the intended area, vice versa and the shifter body has to be twisted like 30 degrees down from the brake lever- AHH

Formula had some influence on the original Juicy 7's and now I think they make a "match maker" for sram shifter but is this some sort of embargo!

Am I the only one who has run into this?

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by period3
    I'm thinking of changing out my Hayes soles for K-24s. Do the K-24s have the same problem with XT shifters?
    Here is a link (at the bottom) I to cyclingnews.com that I happen to come across (after this post) that has some decent pics of the lever clamp/body installed with shifters- if you scroll down you can see some pics of just how far in the lever is from the grips to get the "sweetspot" where it needs to be- combine this with needing to run your shifters inboard and it really streches the ease with which you can use your shifters

This is a quote from the review-

"The Puro master cylinder plays well with either SRAM's triggers or twist shifters as both mount outboard of the brake lever. However, Shimano's Rapidfire pods must mount inboard of the Oro clamps, and as such, you can either set the levers in the proper position, or the shifters, but not both. Invariably, either the brake levers end up positioned too far out on the bar and cramp your fingers, or the shifter paddles end up a long ways away. Shimano's new XTR pods can adjust around this steric incompatibility, but just about all of the other ones will still fall victim."

I found that even with the XTR's adjustable/sliding mount that it still did not work well for me- I don't mind a bit of compromise but in my opinion having to reposition my hand every time I want to shift is a bit too much to ask-

Again it is a potential issue for certain Shimano set-ups and will ultimately come down to your personal preference-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/reviews/oropuro

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

thanks

Here they are with XT shifters:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...%26BRAND.ID%3D

It still looks a bit far. I think I'll hold off for now and look for a deal on SLX or XT brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Here is a link (at the bottom) I to cyclingnews.com that I happen to come across (after this post) that has some decent pics of the lever clamp/body installed with shifters- if you scroll down you can see some pics of just how far in the lever is from the grips to get the "sweetspot" where it needs to be- combine this with needing to run your shifters inboard and it really streches the ease with which you can use your shifters

This is a quote from the review-

"The Puro master cylinder plays well with either SRAM's triggers or twist shifters as both mount outboard of the brake lever. However, Shimano's Rapidfire pods must mount inboard of the Oro clamps, and as such, you can either set the levers in the proper position, or the shifters, but not both. Invariably, either the brake levers end up positioned too far out on the bar and cramp your fingers, or the shifter paddles end up a long ways away. Shimano's new XTR pods can adjust around this steric incompatibility, but just about all of the other ones will still fall victim."

I found that even with the XTR's adjustable/sliding mount that it still did not work well for me- I don't mind a bit of compromise but in my opinion having to reposition my hand every time I want to shift is a bit too much to ask-

Again it is a potential issue for certain Shimano set-ups and will ultimately come down to your personal preference-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/reviews/oropuro

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was looking at the k-24's as a possibility until I found this thread.. I'm running 08 XTR shifters and disk brakes so I assume I will have the same lever issue that this forum is discussing. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?? If not, what is your next best recommendation for brakes? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I usually go through 2-3 bikes a year. Yes, I am a bike whore. The one component that I have held onto and can't see changing are my Formula K24's. If you can't make the Shimano shifters work then I say scrap them for Sram. Formula brakes are that good IMO.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    I was looking at the k24's as a possibility until I found this thread.. I'm running 08 XTR shifters and disk brakes so I assume I will have the same lever issue that this forum is discussing. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?? If not, what is your next best recommendation for brakes? Thanks.
    I was stoked to get the Oro K-24's since I had heard how great they were. For reference I usually run my shifter's in board of my brakes, I tried every combination with the 08' Oro K24's in out, the slide adjuster every which way and I just could not get them to work right. Most of this was because I had to slide the brake body so far in to make get the levers to where they felt right as far as finger placement. the shifters seem to mesh fine inboard but were just too far in to be useful without me adjusting grip- but put them inboard and the brake body forces the shifter to be pushed so far down to clear the clamp/body that it just did not work for me. I kept thinking I was missing something but after 10 flipflops from in and out of the brake levers I accepted that I would have to move on- Others may feel differently but see if you can get with anyone or a lbs that has them on a bike and give it a try for yourself- maybe it will work for you...

I purchased a set of Elixir CR's and love the feel and the power, I am able to run 160's on my Mariachi and still have more power and confidence than my Juicy 7's gave me (not to say the 7's were bad, I still run them on another bike but for comparison sake). They are probably overkill for my riding style but the modulation and pure confidence they give me is awsome, there is no feeling of not having more stopping power to give even for me at 210 lbs or so-

For what it is worth

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Slightly off topic but do the K24's work with Avid's "match maker" clamp on the X0 triggers???

Meh.
    No. You will have to purchase the Formula clamps. I am not sure if they are still for sale. I believe they were called the MixMaster or something along those lines.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I have this combination (XTR/K24s) and don't have an issue. I can see what you mean and don't doubt that some will have the problem, but for the sake of others considering this combo, it works great for me and I wouldn't change it.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Are you using the standard K24 mount or the Mix Master mount to make it work with the XTR's? Thanks

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle
    Hmm, I have this combination (XTR/K24s) and don't have an issue. I can see what you mean and don't doubt that some will have the problem, but for the sake of others considering this combo, it works great for me and I wouldn't change it.
    Do yuo have reeeeeelllly long fingers? Seriously I am sure some may find it acceptable but for me it just did not cut it- for others benefit r u running tem inside or outside your brakes?

For reference check out this review I posted a while back... (to clarify I posted the link I did not wite the review...)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=...eviews/oropuro
    Last edited by knottshore; 07-21-2009 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Is it a problem with Formula or Shimano? Why don't the shifters work well with the brake levers instead of why don't the brake levers work well with the shifters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Good question... I don't care which is wrong, I just want to know if the setup will work without being too uncomfortable. I'm sure both companies have their flaws.

mtbr member
    I am using the standard K24 mount. Knottshore, it looks like I have them mounted opposite of how you show them mounted in your review -- I put the shifters on the outside and the brakes considerably inboard. Here are some photos of my setup and hand position. I now have Straitline levers, but I was also fine with the stock K24 levers. I don't think my fingers are freakishly long or anything, LOL. But maybe I have some quirky hand position or something. You would definitely have a problem with 2-finger braking, because then your brakes wouldn't be mounted as far inboard and there were would be interference between the body of the brake master cylinder and the body of the shifter. But for 1-finger braking it works great (for me).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the pics! I'm not so sure that would work for me....Not quite how I want my hands positioned for braking. Now I've gotta decide if I wanna go for the SRAM XO shifter / derailleur setup or look for a different brake setup that will work with my XTR shifters???? I've just hear so many good things about formula that I'm inclined to go that route.

Live 2 Ride
    Go with X9. Save some money.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Is it a problem with Formula or Shimano? Why don't the shifters work well with the brake levers instead of why don't the brake levers work well with the shifters.
    It is not a matter of one or the other being "bad" they just don't mesh well, though it obviously works for some.... Check out the thread from the begining and also the link to the review from some cycling website that ran into similar issues. Summary is the brakes have to be quite far in on your bar so the levers hit your fingers right and then your shifters are either scooched way in or they hit the body/mount of the brakes ( you have to twist your shifters almost 90 deg from the ground) take a look at the pics that A girl from Seattle posted as well- it shows how far in the brakes need to be to hit the sweet spot of the lever, I don't think any shifters would work inboard of them (unless they have freakinshly long fingers!) so they have to be run outboard (between the grips and brakes) and then the xtr shifters hit the brakes- they need to be pretty darn far away from the brakes.... I am going in circles, read the thread-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast