mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Formula oro k24 - late grip

I'm a real beginner at disc brakes and have now bought a used bike with formula oro k24 on it. The problem I have is that the brakes grip very late, and also the force I have to apply is to heavy.

Should I try to exchange the pads? I really can't tell if there is too much wear on them. Or is it a problem with air in the system?

T.W.O.
    Have you check the pad, it could be worn or contaminated. How late is late for you about half way before engagement? There's an adj knob/lever just inside of the lever you may be able to dail your preference. Is the problem on both f/r?

If there's air in the system then it just need a good bleed. If this happen right after you get your bike it may not be a problem. If the bike has been sitting for a while it may need sometime to "wake up" for the lack of better word. It's like bedding in the rotor it takes a while and once the pressure is up and ready you are good to go, I hope that's the case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, at least half way and more than half way on the rear. The adjustment knob is fully set for early grip. I've looked at the pads and I don't know how new ones should look so hard to tell if they're worn but anyway they seem to be resting on the disc so there is no space between them. That leads me to believe that they should grip instantly? The bike has probably been sitting for 6 months or so....

T.W.O.
    Post the pic of the pad and the lever engagement. The adjustment can change the engagement point it's how riders dial in their preference. Did you go on the first ride yet? if yes how long was the ride and how often you brake. You may just need to brake repeatedly to wake everything up. I have to do that everytime I change the pad or bleed the system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pics attached
    Attached Images Attached Images    

T.W.O.
    The pad look worn on the upper section, it could use a replacement. Get the Formula one not the great deal on eBay 3 for the price of one. I bought that and realized why it was so cheap. That may solve your problem.

How many miles have you done since you got the bike?

I always bleed like this.
    It looks like the pads are fine. The top pad looks worn but I think it is just a shadow.
    I bet you just need to bleed them. You can make or buy a bleed kit if you don't have one or get a cheap one from ebay for like $15 shipped. The avid kits are supposed to work fine.
    Go on youtube to watch someone do it, it will explain a lot.
    Last edited by PoorBehavior; 04-11-2011 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Actually they were pretty worn, so did solve the problem. However, the power is pretty bad so I will bleed them as well. I noticed the rotors are Avids, 160 back and 185 front. My guess is that is not optimal...

T.W.O.
    185/160 is quite a popular rotor combo, you should stick with it. If you just change the pad allow it some time and bed the pad in properly the power would easily double.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What I was thinking about was the combination Avid rotors with Formula brakes, I read somewhere that it is not recommended.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    185/160 is quite a popular rotor combo, you should stick with it. If you just change the pad allow it some time and bed the pad in properly the power would easily double.
    160 is std for Formula, but 185 is not. 180 mm is the size for Formulas. I guess you could use a certain adapter to get to work, but since you are having problems.......

Formula normally sells their adapter with the rotors. So, you could give that a try. Ebay is a good place to find Formula rotors.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Ow!
    I have a set of K24s. It sounds like it needs a bleed, though maybe you just need to burn in the new pads.

Bleeding can be a little tricky, but doable. If you have never bled a brake before, now may be the time to learn. Get yourself a Formula or Avid kit, follow the directions that Formula gives (check their site out), be thorough (don't cut corners), and be patient.

Do not be concerned that you have Avid rotors. I use Avid, Magura, Formula rotors for whatever brake I have run. The important item is to have the right adapter (need to use a 185mm adapter for that 185mm rotor, not a 180mm adapter).

Great brakes when you get them set up correctly. In the long run, a no-fuss type of brake with lots of power and decent modulation. Check out Formula's internet site. They have instructions and tips.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    In case someone reads this thread:

Please make sure that you visit the US site of the company for bleeding instructions. These are very well written and come with meaningful pics. The translation from the Italian instructions is just crap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    True, I followed those instructions and everything works great after that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Don't Bleed Your Brakes

Flush your lines and replace all your fluid at least every couple of years.
    You bought the bike/brakes used and you don't know the maintenance history.
    Brakes need maintenance.
    Cheers,

Kane