Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Formula Oro K18: losing oil during bleed

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Boyonabyke 
#1 ·
I am bleeding my Formula Oro K18 brakes. The manual says to connect the first syringe to the caliper port. However when I remove the port screw, oil is coming out quite quickly. This is not a problem as I am filling the system with new fluid anyway. But when the bleed is finished and I remove the syringe from the calliper I get quite a lot of fluid coming out again. It takes a few seconds of fiddling with the little O-ring and screw and in that time about 10 drops of oil have leaked from the calliper port. Is this normal and what can I do about it?

#7 ·
Guys,

When you are doing a bleed job, and removing the syringes.... if it's the syringe on the caliper, lay your bike down, so the port where you screw /unscrew the syringe is pointing up, so that the caliper is at the highest point and acts like a cup for the fluid. Insert seal and screw. Then place the bike so that the port for the brake lever, where syringe # 2 is, is at the highest point, then remove fitting and syringe from the lever port.

If you always make it so that the highest point in the whole brake system, caliper or lever is where you are adding and removing a syringe, you won't lose fluid from the system, maybe a drop or two from the syringes.

Gravity and air bubbles are your friends, use them wisely. Gravity will always pull fluid down and air up, so remember that basic rule when bleeding your brakes..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.