Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Formula Oro K18 or K24

I am looking to upgrade from the Avid BB7s on my Rush to a set of hydraulic brakes. The Formula Oro series have really caught my eye with amazing reviews. My one question is if the K24s are worth the money over the K18s. Thanks.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I don't think that they are worth the extra cash. The k18's look better because they are black. the only difference is the K24 have the FCS adjustment that allow you to adjust how far the lever comes back before it contacts the pads. If this is a major concern you can always add the FCS to your K18 brakes for around $16-$20. Formula sells the part and since the brakes are identical other than this I really don't see shelling out $100 more.

mtbr member
    Well, I tried to order the K18s this afternoon, but the suplier is all out. One other question for those who run the Oros... can I get away with running my Avid rotors and adaptor brackets? Just trying to keep this conversion fairly cheap. Thanks

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    bikeuphill9,
    Both of our main distributors current show that the K18 are in stock. You may want to have your shop double check that or if they are still having problems, have them give us a ring.

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    May 2007
    is the FCS system just the 2mm hex adjustment screw on the back of the lever? or am i missing some part of it. I'm thinking i might try some K18's instead of the juicys i was thinking of going with...

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    is the FCS system just the 2mm hex adjustment screw on the back of the lever? or am i missing some part of it. I'm thinking i might try some K18's instead of the juicys i was thinking of going with...
    I haven't tried formula's (would love to) but am not thrilled with my j7's. I say fade the juicy's, go with the k18's.

-> SickLines.com <-
    No, the FCS is the black knob that rotates

mtbr member
    May 2007
    oh ok, im thinking ill pick up a pair of k18's, then add the FCS if i need it

mtbr member
    Well...we tried to order from BTI but the where out of the Oros and said they sold out quickly. Will try again this week.

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of K18s about two weeks ago and decided to save some cash over the K24. I'm 235lbs with my gear on and all I can say is unbelievable!!! The K18s stop like you can't imagine. I upgraded over my Hayes 9 and the difference is night and day. I've read some reviews that they are too powerful and they lack modulation (which is what I believe the K24 FCS adjustment might be able to provide) but I like my brakes to be a little grabby anyway.

You won't be disappointed either way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    has anybody actually installed the parts for the FCS system onto a set of K18's? I'd like to gain some insight as to how to go about this

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

FCS kit

Check the Formula website and they have the FDF instrunction manual on the brake lever. It has the blown out brake lever with parts dismantled. I don't know if this will be able to solve your question.

mtbr member
    US site? right?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    well, i looked at their site, and the exploded diagrams, but they werent much help. its hard to see the area that the FCS goes to in either of the manuals. just wondering if anybody has actually done this, cause i could see any manufacturer putting some slight difference in the casting just so people can't buy brakes for 100 cheaper and upgrade them for 20 bucks

Buridan
    bikeuphill9 asked a good question that's still unanswered:

One other question for those who run the Oros... can I get away with running my Avid rotors and adaptor brackets?
    I'm also considering the K18s and would like to know if they are compatible with Shimano's centerlock rotors. I hope Formula Brake USA returns and can answer these queries, or anyone else for that matter...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Stevem9

I can help with the Avid rotor question with Oro's. I installed K24's earlier this year with Avid Clean Sweep rotors. The Avid rotors were extremely noisy when dusty although they were quiet when wet. I then put on Oro rotors and they have been very quiet since. These are great brakes but I would not mix the Avid rotors with the Oro brakes.

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Guys,
    We do not recommend running any rotors other than the ones we specifically make for the Oro Brakes. In some cases other manufactures also use different size rotors than we do for certain applications. 180mm vs. 185mm and 200mm vs. 203mm. This means that their adapters cannot be used with our rotors.

Regarding centerlock applications, we offer a centerlock adapter for our rotors if you are trying to mate them to a centerlock hub.

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Is there a reason why you did not make your brakes compatible with the industy standard rotors?

Will your calipers work with other rotors if a standard adapter is used?

I have multiple wheels and bikes with different brakes. Right now I can just swap as I need, but it would be a major pain if your calipers are not compatible.

Thanks!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Is there a reason why you did not make your brakes compatible with the industy standard rotors?

I have multiple wheels and bikes with different brakes. Right now I can just swap as I need, but it would be a major pain if your calipers are not compatible.
    BS...

There are no industry standard rotor sizes.

There are no industry standard adapters.

The only standards are the IS tabs (which many of us despise and prefer post mount) and the rotor bolt spacing on the hubs.

One may get lucky mixing & matching various brands but it's not safe to assume that this will hold true across all manufacturers.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts

Thanks!
    Industry standard rotors? What is the "Industry Standard" for rotors, wasn't aware that there was one?

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Blue Shorts,
    We make space our rotor sizes apart in 20mm increments because it allows us to double up on adapter applications: a 160IS rear adapter is identical to a 180IS front, a 180IS rear is identical to a 200IS front and a 200IS rear is identical to 220IS front. This means less sku's, less parts for shops/distributors to stock and it also helps us reduce manufacturing costs so that we can be price competitive with product coming out of Asia. As the market changes and the 6" PM standard is more common on forks (and frames soon?) the value of this system will diminish. Also, the advent on 8" PM standard which requires a 203mm rotor and not a 200mm has also led us to offer 203mm rotors for this application

The reason we do not recommend running other manufactures rotors is because we specifically design the hight of the braking track on the rotor to match the pad material height in our calipers; this insures optimal braking performance. It is for this reason, as well as liability, that you will be very hard pressed to find a manufacture who will give you their blessing to run rotors other then those specifically designed for their brakes.

The success and failures of people mixing and matching rotors has been covered extensively on these boards if you need more information on the topic.

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Thank you Chris.
    Can you help about FDF on K18s?

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Fdf?

Bodhisattva
    Chris,

We appreciate the erudite explanation.

Is there any word on Formula 2-piece rotors in terms of weight & availability....or is this just e-myth ?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    TSW,
    Regarding the 2pcs rotors: the wheels (or should I say rotors) are turning...that is about all I can say...

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast