mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Formula Oro K18 or Hayes Stroker?

Looking to replace and upgrade my brakes, but not sure which to go for. Does anyone have any experiences good or bad of either. I am not a massive downhiller, just like to ride hard and fast and like to be able to stop quickly should anything get in my way and not want to get out of it. Are they easy to bleed by a complete novice with no experience?

cheers

mtbr member
    I'm running K18's for the last two years, and love em.

Stopping power and modulation are incredible, as well as really easy pad access and after-market availability.
    Bleed is really easy too, a bit more difficult than say, Avid's, but simple nonetheless.

Additionally Formula (US) customer service is, I think, among the best in the industry.
    They stand by what they sell.

I believe the Oro series (K18's, K24's) are out of production now and have been replaced by RX's, which I've heard are also outstanding.

No direct experience with Stroker's, though I'm sure you know they're held in high regard as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    many thanks

nocturnal oblivion
    Hayes/Manitou/Answer customer service was very poor when I tried to do a warranty a couple years back. This was during the Manitou buyout so maybe it's improved since. Until I know otherwise I avoid Hayes, Manitou, Answer products.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Weight?

Where do the K24s stack up pertaining to weight when compared to other sets eg. XT,
    Avid Elixer etc?

transmitter~receiver
    OP- Formula FTW!
    I have the K24s and R1s and both have been stellar. They are out of production, which means you can get pretty good deals on NOS right now. The attention to detail in adjustability and serviceability in the design is tops and performance is as good as it gets. I'll also echo that the US customer service is super helpful and knowledgeable.
    I've also had the Strokers (carbon) and they performed fine. The one thing I didn't like about them was that the reach adjustment assembly rattles when you don't have your fingers on the levers. A minor annoyance, but I'm sticking for Formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    Where do the K24s stack up pertaining to weight when compared to other sets eg. XT, Avid Elixer etc?
    My K24s are 272g & 285g for front and rear respectively, which includes the lever/cylinder, hose, caliper, and adapters (I had an IS fork).
    200mm rotor - 172g
    160mm rotor - 114g
    rotor hardware - 12.4g each (28.4g total).
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database