mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Formula ORO brakes

You guys at MTBR.com should get the first info of the new brakes from Formula.

They have been shown to OEM's since last late spring on the Taiwan show.
    Officially they have been introduced last week at Eurobike in Germany.
    Interbike will see the first brakes here in the USA.

They are totally new and differ from all Formula brakes from the past. Formula has had the first protos since last year about this time and has done extensive testing for over a year, before releasing these new brakes.

Some regulars might remember, when we asked the riders what they want the most in a disc brake. Reliability and ease of use was by far the most important feature !
    And that's where ORO got a lot of R&D. They are not the lightest brakes in the universe, although 360 to 390 grams seems to be the target weight ( which I will confirm with MY scale and regular production brakes, later in the year ) Certainly not the heaviest either. But again, we didnt make shortcuts just to save a couple grams.

Oro is powerful.
    Especially with larger rotors.
    The brake is designed to be pretty universal for CC to Freeride and DH aplication. Just add a diiferent rotor and adpater and you can make a beast out of a civil CC brake set up.

The levers are right and left interchangeable. The reservoir is totally inclosed in the handle.
    They have new lines ( thinner diameter ) made out of the best material commercially available.

They are still made in Italy and not in the Far East ( like ALL Formula brakes )

They are easy to assemble with the postmount caliper and IS adapter for front and rear.
    Regular rotor size is 160 front and rear. But 180 and 200 rotors are available.

While other brakes have an adjustment for POWER the Formula ORO has an on the fly adjuster to adjust the feeling of the brakes. Meaning you can adjust the brake-pressure-point. They keep the same ( high ) power throughout the adjustment, no matter where the pressure point is adjusted. ( Reach adjust of course is also adjustable, but doesnt change power or pressure point ).

The alloy lever is a little wider than the older Formula designs and should make a lot of hands happy.

Pads are easy to change through the open design caliper. Pads are still thicker than most competitors and still metal sintered for superior wet performance and long lasting performance.

Brake temperature is drastically reduced with new rotors and a couple of new tricks learned from our motorcycle brakes.

Price is somewhat up there, but not outrageous. Final pricing should be available at Interbike. I will post pics as fast as production models are available.

Now the bad news. Production is sold out till Jan 05. Formula however promised to get a limited number for us here in the US and Canada as early as October. From Jan on than no problems whatsoever.

The B4 Pro and the DH specific 4 piston with Moto Lever will stay in the 05 line up.

You heard it hear first. !
    ( MTBR keeps on rockin, doesnt it )

Your
    Brakemeister

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakemeister
    You guys at MTBR.com should get the first info of the new brakes from Formula...........ORO...........

WooHooo! If they're as good as your past brakes then you have another winner Thor. We need pics!
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Forked!
    When are the Oro's due out to the public? Got me interested and at a time when I'm brake shopping.
    [SIZE=1]Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMtnRider
    When are the Oro's due out to the public? Got me interested and at a time when I'm brake shopping.
    should get some in before too long, Jan 5 is the official date as I was promised.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Smile

Hi everybody,

I'm new members of this forum, I'm french so... excuse me for my bad english. (Perhaps, could I upgrade my english with this forum, I hope...)

So, my question is following:

I will change my formula B4 (year 2002) because I've some problem with it, firstly I want to change it by Magura Marta (or Marta SL) because I've a friend who have it and he saws me that they are powerful and hasn't problem with it. But now, after read your post about Oro, I hesitate !!!!
    What do you think about it? Must I buy the Marta or the Oro ?

(I hope you to understand me clearly ????)

Have a nice ride bye !!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    lol
    I am NOT going to tell you to buy a Formula versus a Magura or Hayes ...

there is a French Magazin, which has a full test of the ORO. I havent read it myself, just I know they got a sample for testing, check a little and find that magazine, THAN make up your mind what brake you want.

Your English is much better than my few words of French, dont feel bad !!!!

Thanks Brakemeister

Forked!
    Meister,

Do you have an expected cost on these? Thanks
    [SIZE=1]Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just noticed the pic below at barracuda.be. The brakes are listed as "In Stock", at a price exactly in between the listed standard prices for Pro and Pro+.

That brake point adjuster sounds good to me, being picky with the brake point setup on my V's. I don't use discs today, and don't see how you adjust the brake point with other hydraulic disc brakes if there's no adjuster?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by anden
    Just noticed the pic below at barracuda.be. The brakes are listed as "In Stock", at a price exactly in between the listed standard prices for Pro and Pro+.
    Anden, what price where they listed for? They now don't have a price tag, but a 'call for quote' instead...

thanks!

A wheelist
    Thor what's the update on the ORO? Give us some hope! (woops a bad word!)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can only tell you that the wait will be worth while .....lol
    I should receive samples end of the month.. One of them will go to Can to an old phart to test them right away the other one goes to ..... well some not so important magazine folks ..

just won the overal first price in a german magazin ..... ( without spending advertising money in any )

anyhow they are going to be great ....

hang a few more weeks
    Brakemeister

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakemeister
    One of them will go to Can to an old phart to test them right away
    What a lucky SOB he's gonna be!