mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Formula Oro and Bianco dragging REAR ONLY

Here's my set up:
    On One Carbon Race 29, rear post mount designed for 140, I have a 160 adapter. Formula rotors. Freshly bled, new Kool Stop pads.
    Used conical washers for both caliper bolts. Tried various positions on the washers, swap front to back, used flat washers, tried without washers. Have the same problem: Pad drag. Outer pad drags on the front side, and inner pad drags on the tailside, as if the caliper was cockeyed. Can loosen the bolts, push with thumbs and fingers to get caliper straight, but the minute I cinch down on the bolt, the caliper goes sideways.
    Heard from experts that you can open up the holes on the calipers where the bolt goes through to allow for more side to side, clockwise or counterclockwise adjustment. Anyone ever have this problem before, and has anyone tried to Dremel out the holes? What drill bit did you use, if you did drill it out?
    Thank you in advance.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Yeah most calipers I have seen seems to be machined by blind monkeys, not a god damn square angle anywhere, welcome to the club. Do you own a file?

Another trick is to mount them with a piece of paper between the disc and the caliper so even when you tighten tight they can only move so far.

Also oil pistons and work them.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've tried your suggestion of the paper but instead used an old razor blade after I used aluminum foil folded over. Did not work.
    Decided to prove that the problem is with the post mount machining. Took my Hayes Stroker off from my Surly KM, put it on the On One ( The one with the problem, no pun intended). Same exact result with dragging. Put the Formula on the Surly. Clean spinning. The problem is not the brakes, calipers, or the mechanic. It's the post mount. Waiting on the manufacturers to get back with me on that. Done banging my head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This might explain it. Nothing else can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Formula Oro and Bianco dragging REAR ONLY-020.jpg  

~ B A D A S S ~
    Those 2 bolts looks like they point in different directions! There is probably nothing you can do about that since its carbone. But there is a metal thing that goes on top of that right? Where you mount the caliper. You need to make one that is the reverse of that misalignment I guess. Could be hard, or maybe not. I guess when you have it on there you'll see whats needed.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Or maybe you can file a washer to wedge form and put that on top so it presses evenly on the caliper?

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Getting a new frame from On One. Thank you, Shiggy for the very fast response.