mtbr member

Formula the One vs. Avid Elixir CR vs. Shimano XT

Hi,

I just ordered a new All Mountain 5.5x5.5" carbon trailbike, itīs a really nice build, but comes with Magura Louises. As I absolutely donīt like the thin lever blades of the 2008 Louises, Iīll get something different.

On my Reign X I had Codes (sold the bike), I want powerful brakes, although weight is also a (minor) concern. The Codes had some inconsistencies, needed to be warrantied twice, lever shape was ok, but I like Juicys better (lever feel).

So I could just get some Formula the Ones 200f 180r
    or
    the new Elixir CRs (carbon levers would go great with the carbon frame, plus they feel like Juicys with a bit more power)

Or I could just save the $$ and get a Shimano XT, as the bike comes with centerlock hubs anyway.

What do you guys think, do the Formulas hold up? Are the Elixirs too ugly?

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    If you think the lever blade on the Louises is too thin, you probably won't like The Ones.

mtbr member
    Yeaahh, heard that too.

I also heard that there might be some fatter replacement levers.

I demoed the Elixirs, they were nice, but look somewhat strange, especially the red anodizing doesnīt fit my next bikes scheme.

I also took a quick spin on a bike with "the ones", the levers were a bit unconventional, long reach, long lever travel, but they were powerful and really sleek.
    Could be true with the thin levers though. Also, the former Formulas were sometimes a bit finicky.
    But thatīs true for some Avids too.
    The old Shimanos were super reliable and ok, but they just donīt offer a lot of braking power.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    Yeaahh, heard that too.

I also heard that there might be some fatter replacement levers.

I demoed the Elixirs, they were nice, but look somewhat strange, especially the red anodizing doesnīt fit my next bikes scheme.

I also took a quick spin on a bike with "the ones", the levers were a bit unconventional, long reach, long lever travel, but they were powerful and really sleek.
    Could be true with the thin levers though. Also, the former Formulas were sometimes a bit finicky.
    But thatīs true for some Avids too.
    The old Shimanos were super reliable and ok, but they just donīt offer a lot of braking power.

Greetings Znarf
    You can put the Mega lever blades on The Ones, which are fatter. You loose the tool free reach adjustment though. I have a pair, and love them. Light, powerful, good modulation, etc. You have to run the brake levers way the hell inboard, but whatever. They've been really reliable thus far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Then new XT are the SHIZ! I definately think you should get a chance to demo them. The blade has a great feel, nice and fat. The free stroke adjustment is cool and the power is their now. I am a 280lbs clyde running 7in upfront and 6 in the rear and they will stop me in on a dime.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Hi,

I just ordered a new All Mountain 5.5x5.5" carbon trailbike, itīs a really nice build, but comes with Magura Louises. As I absolutely donīt like the thin lever blades of the 2008 Louises, Iīll get something different.

or
    the new Elixir CRs (carbon levers would go great with the carbon frame, plus they feel like Juicys with a bit more power)

Or I could just save the $$ and get a Shimano XT, as the bike comes with centerlock hubs anyway.

Greetings Znarf
    Shame you don't like the Louises, they are a great brake. I've owned the 2008 shimano Xt's and now own a set of the Megas (same master cyl, 2 piece caliper)

How much stopping power do you need? The Megas/Ones are true downhil brakes, and will need a decent break-in period, unlike the Shimanos. If you are a big guy, ride steep stuff or long descents, then the Ones are the brake to go with. For general trailriding the XT's are really decent, but they have nowhere near the stopping power of the Ones. Nice levers tho.

One thing: if you are a brake dragger, you will need to change your braking style if you go with the Formulas-- They perform better when braked hard. I find myself going stupid fast now, only slowing at the last second, these brakes have so much power.

Personally, I'd save the cash and go with the Megas, as they have 99% of the performance of the ONEs. Especially if you like the lever of the Mega better.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Yeah,
    there are really a lot of options

I actually liked the 2004-2007 Louises, strong and light brakes. The 2008/09 are a bit different though, maybe Iīll give them a chance, for 2009 the lever blades got a new shape as well.

The Megas sound nice too.

I donīt need too much brake, I am only 150lbs, but I ride a lot of steep stuff and from time to time I visit the Alps, you can do 7000feet of vert in one looooooooooooooooong run, that gets even a Gustav M "warm".

Maybe Iīll even get a 2009er Louise, maybe I like that brake

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Personally I'd get the XTs. I've been using them since they came out. They have plenty of power for me at 220 lbs, extremely aggressive, riding all the double-blacks at Whistler. And the ergonomics are excellent. I would wait and see if the Elixirs really did solve the issues with the Juicys/Codes.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I donīt need too much brake, I am only 150lbs, but I ride a lot of steep stuff and from time to time I visit the Alps, you can do 7000feet of vert in one looooooooooooooooong run, that gets even a Gustav M "warm".
    If you ride that regularly, I'd go with the ONE/MEGA. or some Saints. The ONE will be fine as an XC brake, but the XT is not a DH brake.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi,

On my Reign X I had Codes (sold the bike), I want powerful brakes, although weight is also a (minor) concern. The Codes had some inconsistencies, needed to be warrantied twice, lever shape was ok, but I like Juicys better (lever feel).

or

Greetings Znarf
    I have a 5.5X5 trail bike and run formula oro's, which I absolutly love. Upgraded from J7's. I do alot of extended downhill riding (super D) and they are plenty of brake. Unless your a really bigun go with the oro's.