Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Formula The One or Shimano XT Disc Brakes on a Singlespeed 29er

Well what do the 29er folks think? One of the LBS says Shimano are the best while the other say Formulas hands down. What do you guys think? Thanks
    Steel Freak
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have had really good luck with the 775's, and the 785's are getting glowing reviews. No experience with the Formulas, but the Shimanos seem hard to beat value wise. I'd have to be a much better rider to be able to justify the price difference

mtbr member
    I have the older XT M765s and they work really well and are really reasonably priced...haven't tried anything else though except BB7s

mtbr member
    You cant beat formulas. That being said the XT brakes are extremely good value!

The perfessor
    hehe, Avid BB7s - it is just a SS 29er after all.........works for me no prob and lots cheaper.........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

nOOb
    May 2008
    I would say you can't go wrong with either one, to me the decision would be based on color/style and price.

mtbr member
    Either or. Whichever you prefer. Both will work really well. My vote, however, goes with the XTs.

mtbr member
    the formula brakes will be a bit more powerful, a bit more finicky and the XT will have a bit less power but more user friendly. Get whatever you can get a better deal on. Oh and the Formulas are a titch lighter than the XT.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Good Responses keep them rollin in

The XT's will save me about $200, the Formula use real DOT brake fluid (Makes sense to me as I'm an Automotive Mech) however my current bike has Mineral oil tektro that came on my Specialized have decent feel however under powered.

My other geared 29er has Avid Juicy 3. Noisey as heck and Runs DOT Fluid (so much for my dot Therory) The Juicys also under powered the rear drags, they suck.

Based on the reponses I'm leaning to the XT's for value ( I do work for a living ) I did get to ride a Tallboy around the shop that had the new XT's Great Feel and quiet but I realize that is not real off road conditions but ???

As long as they are better than the Tektros or the Juicy3' it's all good.
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another vote for XT although i've not used Formulas. I've had 3 sets of XT 775s on various bikes and all have been faultless. From alpine summer holidays to winter rigid SS use, not a single issue and never needed more feel or power. The new 785 design's even better...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Haven't tried the new XTs, but I have the ONEs and they are wicked powerful - overkill for my SS. I love to brake hard into turns and the ONEs continue to impress me with their power with a 7in rotor on the front of my FS. The 8in rotor was too powerful. 8in rotor with older M4s and last gen XTs - meh. The ONEs are a little finicky to set up, the pads wear kind of fast and the pads are expensive. But, if you are a fast descender and/or heavy they may be a good choice. I weigh 230. I had the last gen XTs on my SS, and they were good brakes - set and forget.

Flaccid Member
    /\ This... I run Formula TheOnes on my WFO... Once you learn to set them up, they are great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    +1 on the formulas... 4000 ft descends on my TB, no problem!

mtbr member
    For price, XT's. I currently have a set of XT 775's and XTR 985's and give the nod to the One's I should not have sold. Nothing wrong with the Shimanos, but the One's have it all.