mtbr member

Formula The One rotor rubbing on caliper

How can I resolve this?

brakes: THE ONE MY10
    rotor: 203mm formula
    IS to post mount: formula
    fork: white brothers fluid 29 135mm
    hub: King ISO 20mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Formula The One rotor rubbing on caliper-img_3130.jpg  

Formula The One rotor rubbing on caliper-img_3131.jpg  

mtbr member
    It looks like the caliper isn't centered over the disc. Loosen the two bolts that hold the caliper onto the adaptor and center it over the rotor.

mtbr member
    That is the centered position when I depress the lever with the calipers a bit loose.. If I move it then it wont be centered? Is there any pad adjustment to bring the outer pad in just a bit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Dont centre it like that. Use the Hope way.

...idios...
    That is the centered position when I depress the lever with the calipers a bit loose..
    Centered is when the rotor runs plum through the rotor slot, not when it's left after using the horrible loosen-pull-tighten method. The L-P-T method ignores a stuck piston and it ignores a twisted piston. Center the caliper over the rotor, tighten the bolts, then activate the pads, as Rick says, using the method recommended by Hope. Here's a couple of videos...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    ok, now I see. I was actually just watching those videos as you posted them! I always used the LPT method on my 9 year old hopes and seemed to work ok. The Ones are new to me, this makes more sense. Im on it now.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the suggestions above don't work, try removing the pads and using a tire lever, push in the piston on the side that is not rubbing, squeeze the lever once or twice and repeat. Put the pads back on and use the LPT method and then see if the rotor is still rubbing.

You may have a stuck piston if none of the suggestions seem to work.
    Romani ite domum

Curmudgeon
    In addition to following these excellent Hope videos, use the forum search function to find threads like this one:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...60762#poststop

Good luck,
    -S

mtbr member
    So the problem turned out to be a stuck piston. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am now very familiar with the brake and setup. Hopefully the stuck piston wont be a future issue. I will be sure to clean with pad replacement.

Having the back of the caliper open is really nice as you can just take a quick look on the caliper action. I ended up dialing in my rears a little better as well. Its totally noise free now.