Flying High Again

Formula The One - replacement rotors?

i need new rotors for my formula the one setup. i'm not sure what rotors i've currently got but i want the best heat dissipating rotors for DH. what rotors are compatible with formula and fall into this category?

ideas? thanks...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is this a trick question

why not Formula rotors. They are cut to fit the brakes and the adaptors.
    cheers,

Kane

mtbr member
    I have a pair of 2009 Formula The Ones and am running the wavy formula rotor front and rear 203mm and it works great for downhill. If you go to the right place, they can be pretty reasonably priced too.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Flying High Again
    Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman
    why not Formula rotors. They are cut to fit the brakes and the adaptors.
    cheers,

Kane
    ummm.....something better if possible? or are formula rotors simply the best?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    ummm.....something better if possible? or are formula rotors simply the best?
    On this level, much of the information you are seeking is subjective. I really like the formula rotors. They provide plenty of heat dissipation in the 203mm version as well as gobs of power. That said, there definitely are others that will work as long as the thickness and diameter of the rotors match what your setup is.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Flying High Again
    i only have experience with the formulas so that's all i know. i do have issues on long descents (>1000m vertical) with heat and i hate stopping. and don't tell me to brake less, it's the alps.

i see that formula has a 220mm rotor. i don't need any more stopping power but would the extra 17mm help any with the heat? maybe try this one in the rear only.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    i only have experience with the formulas so that's all i know. i do have issues on long descents (>1000m vertical) with heat and i hate stopping. and don't tell me to brake less, it's the alps.

i see that formula has a 220mm rotor. i don't need any more stopping power but would the extra 17mm help any with the heat? maybe try this one in the rear only.
    I believe I see the problem. You brake too much in the back... What makes me think so is that you want a larger rotor in the back. This is useless and will only serve to lock your wheel easier.

Try braking more up front, the rear should only help you modulate, it's not what stops you. Then learn to brake a lot but for short periods and you won't have heat problems.

Alps or no Alps, your problem lies in braking technique.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.