inner peace to make peace

New question here. Formula The One, Oro Puro, and Hope Mini Mono Pro

Does any one have have spec's and observations for the new Formula The One?
    We've been thinking of getting two sets of Formula Oro Puros or Hope Mini Mono Pros for our XC bikes, but would like to know where The One "fits in" compared to the to mentioned. We're looking for Post Mount tabs.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 11-27-2007 at 07:38 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    Does any one have have spec's and observations for the new Formula The One?
    We've been thinking of getting a set of Formula Oro Puros or Hope Mini Mono Pros for our XC bikes, but would like to know where The One "fits in" compares to the to mentioned. We're looking for Post Mount tabs.
    The ONE is more of a FR/DH oriented brake, though the weight is still very reasonable and could be used on a more XC type bike without a big weight penalty. Word is they are even more powerful than the Oro series brakes, which already have a ton of power. The Puro's and Mini Pro's are more XC oriented and lighter weight. Price on the ONE will fall in between the Bianco and Puro.
    Let me know if you have some more specific questions.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    My set of The One's (160mm front & rear) is ordered, I expect them to arrive end this / early next week.

Currently I'm riding Oro Puro's, can't wait to give The One's a spin

http://www.formula-brake.it/index2.htm
    The One:
    kit front standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid)
    241 g
    kit rear standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid)
    251 g
    adaptor+disc 160mm front
    130 g
    adaptor+disc 160mm rear
    =761 g set.

Puro:
    kit front standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid)
    216 g
    kit rear standard (caliper-hose-M/C-fluid)
    231 g
    adaptor+disc 160mm front
    130 g
    adaptor+disc 160mm rear
    139 g.
    = 716 g set

that's 45 g (or 1.6 oz) difference in #s.

I wonder if The One would perform better than the Puro.

I am assuming either Formulas would be stronger than the 590 g set Hope Mini Mono Pros?
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

banned
    As Larry mentioned correctly, they Mini is a dedicated XC brake. Hope designs a bit differently and you can't go by weight. Some companies are making lightweight, overpowered brakes, which is why you can't go by weight to lump brakes together anymore. On paper, one might say "Sure, lightweight, and great power...it's a no-brainer", but it's not always the case. In this case, the Mini is being underscored as a dedicated XC brake. It will likely not have the same power as the Formulas by any stretch, but it excels in fantastic modulation.

So to answer your question, I believe they would be stronger than the Mini and perhaps a better comparison powerwise, would be the M4 and up. The Mini is closer to the Magura Marta in performance mission. Lots of choices out there, you just have to weigh how much power you really need, value of modulation, and how many grams you're looking to pinch for your dollar.

Larry sells lots of these brakes, so go with his advice. He knows his ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    As Larry mentioned correctly, they Mini is a dedicated XC brake. Hope designs a bit differently and you can't go by weight. Some companies are making lightweight, overpowered brakes, which is why you can't go by weight to lump brakes together anymore. On paper, one might say "Sure, lightweight, and great power...it's a no-brainer", but it's not always the case. In this case, the Mini is being underscored as a dedicated XC brake. It will likely not have the same power as the Formulas by any stretch, but it excels in fantastic modulation.

So to answer your question, I believe they would be stronger than the Mini and perhaps a better comparison powerwise, would be the M4 and up. The Mini is closer to the Magura Marta in performance mission. Lots of choices out there, you just have to weigh how much power you really need, value of modulation, and how many grams you're looking to pinch for your dollar.

Larry sells lots of these brakes, so go with his advice. He knows his ****.
    thanks
    I have M4 with 8" now on one of our XC bikes, has excellent power and modulation.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 11-27-2007 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's a review, posted before,but here you go.

And some weights

Stay off the brakes

mtbr member

More images

Ltd Edition

Last edited by Prof; 11-30-2007 at 01:47 PM.
    Stay off the brakes

banned
    wow.

Feeding your addiction
    OMG!! Those are HOT!! Can you get those over on your side of the pond yet Barry?

Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    OMG!! Those are HOT!!
    Larry
    I'll one up you Larry with an OMFG!! Those are effing HAWT!
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member

Due on the 12th

I have added a set of the Minaar's for the DHR (I'm weak willed)

The Ltd run is possibly more limited as he is off to Santa Cruz Syndicate and they run Avid's.

Last picture fixed now, sorry bout that.
    Last edited by Prof; 11-30-2007 at 01:48 PM.
    Stay off the brakes

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Guys,
    Just FYI..a limited few of the Minnaar ONE will be available around Dec. 20 here stateside.
    They will be the first of the ONE's available in the states. The standard version should be available Jan. 2nd.

Cheers,

Chris