mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Formula One Lever Woes.....

Hi,

I have a strange problem I hope someone can help shed some light on before I attempt a fix.

If I squeeze the rear brake fast it works great, if I pull it slowly the lever touches the grip & barely engages the disc. Pumping the lever a few times fixes the contact point.

Could it be air?
    A broken piston seal?

Any recommendations on what I should do first to fix/trouble shoot the problem?

Thanks.

Flaccid Member
    1. Try bleeding your hydraulic lines. If that doesn't work when done properly go to step 2

2. Send them back to Formula Brakes. I seem to recall they had some manufacturing problems with some seals on The Ones that are a warranty issue.

3. Get ahold of Chris at Formula Brakes. Call or email him for recommendations. He might be able to tell you based on what the serial number is for your brakes, if you need to send them in for warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had what I think is the same issue with mine when it arrived on my new bike. When I pumped it a few times it got up enough pressure, but on one lever compression there wasn't even close to enough braking pressure. I got it bled yesterday and rode it today and it seemed to be fine. I'll keep an eye on it, but the bleed certainly seems to have sorted it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddmac1
    Hi,

I have a strange problem I hope someone can help shed some light on before I attempt a fix.

If I squeeze the rear brake fast it works great, if I pull it slowly the lever touches the grip & barely engages the disc. Pumping the lever a few times fixes the contact point.

Could it be air?
    A broken piston seal?

Any recommendations on what I should do first to fix/trouble shoot the problem?

Thanks.
    This needs an m/c rebuild. The main cup seal has failed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer2009
    I had what I think is the same issue with mine when it arrived on my new bike. When I pumped it a few times it got up enough pressure, but on one lever compression there wasn't even close to enough braking pressure. I got it bled yesterday and rode it today and it seemed to be fine. I'll keep an eye on it, but the bleed certainly seems to have sorted it.
    This is a bleeding problem. Not the same thing at all.