mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Formula The One front buzzing/vibrating under load

My formula the ones are pretty new just a few hours of use on the bike and the front brake is making a buzzing kinda vibrating sound that gets louder under more load. Noticed it when going downhill its louder. I use the stock formula rotor 8" its drilled with alot of holes and im thinking that might be it? But what doesnt make sense then is the back is silent and the front used to be silent. Is this anything to worry about besides how annoying it is?

mtbr member
    Have they been broken in correctly? Are the pads and rotors aligned?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I took it to the shop and one of the guys said my rotor wasn't broken in yet. They are aligned correctly I would assume, nothing rubs and the rotor is centered and strait. So I am hoping it will go away with time?

mtbr member
    With regard to alignment I was talking about up and down on the pad. If you add extra shims (some people do), the caliper will sit too high and not engage the rotor fully. Get it broken in and hopefully your problem will resolve itself. I used to run those brakes and loved them.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have you checked to see if the rotor bolts are tight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I put the 160mm on my GF Cobia over the weekend and rode 20+ miles and i never did have any change. They chattered and whined the entire time. While riding around, I hit two bike shops and they said they were fine. They just needed to be broken in. I'm not sure how long it takes but 20+ miles of city riding and I never heard or felt a difference. I did do the break in (low speed, mid speed and high speed) the day prior and they didn't make a peep. Log story short, I put my Hayes back on and they are performing flawlessly.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by davwjack
    I put the 160mm on my GF Cobia over the weekend and rode 20+ miles and i never did have any change. They chattered and whined the entire time. While riding around, I hit two bike shops and they said they were fine. They just needed to be broken in. I'm not sure how long it takes but 20+ miles of city riding and I never heard or felt a difference. I did do the break in (low speed, mid speed and high speed) the day prior and they didn't make a peep. Log story short, I put my Hayes back on and they are performing flawlessly.
    Did you swap out the rotors with the new brakes? Why would you put the FR/DH brake on a 29er hardtail?

mtbr member

hub?

Is there any play in the hub?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

You need a vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by davwjack
    You need to go to some place where the elevation is greater than 50 feet. disc brakes need heat and downhill runs to break in properly. 20 miles in Houston does not break the glaze on the pads. Ride'em cowboy. How about a trip to Colorado.

Cheers,

Kane