Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gnarbar

Formula The One for DH (advice request)

Planning on ripping out my 07 Codes (they're ragged, internals are beat) for slight weight saving (66g down on the codes) with same amount of power.

Anyone got advice for The One ? I'm a big lump and i ride a lot of bike park and shuttle runs, so they have to be solid, reliable, and some DH trails I ride are slower so they have to not boil under pressure. OK to run with Goodridge lines ?

Any other vibes ? Is getting hold of pads an issue ?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.
    White/blue Intense Slopestyle
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

Sovereign Cycle | Lama Cycles | Morewood Bikes | Kali Protectives

...idios...
    Have you considered the Hope V2? About as solid and reliable as anyone could ask for, plus they come with two-piece rotors and Goodridge-made hose straight from the factory. Very easy to bleed without any kind 'helpful' kit and also very easy to maintain when required. All small parts are easily available after-market, too. They're also considerably less expensive than the Formulas.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    I don't know about Hopes being cheaper here in Canada - usually they are pretty pricey, but the Ones are great, they use goodridge kit 109 and are problem free for me so far and bleeding is simple.
    In Canada parts are available through Trident Sports here in BC, so pretty much any shop can get them, and pads are available through ebay pretty easily - usually the cheapest for any brake and you can get 'em in bulk.

Gnarbar
    That's my other real choice, the vented discs are just sick !!!!

Still way pricy but you usually (?) get what you pay for with technology.
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Go with the formulas, my experiance with the V2's was not too good, whilst easier to bleed than the formulas, they gave me no end of troubles with squeel and pads dragging and generally needing something doing after nearly every ride.
    The formula the ones on the other hand have been the most powerfull, reliable brakes I've ever owned, I've used them at various resorts in europe, morzine etc.. and even on standard hoses have never had a problem with them boiling up after any of the big downhills, the pads do wear fairly quickly mind but that could be down to me not being the lightest fella and my bike weighing around half a ton.

Gnarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by travo
    Go with the formulas, my experiance with the V2's was not too good, whilst easier to bleed than the formulas, they gave me no end of troubles with squeel and pads dragging and generally needing something doing after nearly every ride.
    The formula the ones on the other hand have been the most powerfull, reliable brakes I've ever owned, I've used them at various resorts in europe, morzine etc.. and even on standard hoses have never had a problem with them boiling up after any of the big downhills, the pads do wear fairly quickly mind but that could be down to me not being the lightest fella and my bike weighing around half a ton.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm 210 lbs and my bike is currently 44lbs (will be 39 by end of the season) and used for a hella lot of DH and hard riding bike park days.

The One's look crazy sick too. I'm OK with heavy pad wear, though I find I'm braking a lot less than I used to as I'm progresing. Don't need downtime with tech problems though as I'm not too techy and I hate downtime.

Thanks again bro.
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

...idios...
    I had a quick search before I made my last post and couldn't find the Formulas for less than around 180 including the "hardware" kits. The Moto V2 (not Tech) is easily found at 160 for the complete, non-vented version.

I know people who ride on Formulas and like them a great deal, and I don't think that their performance is ever in doubt. The only reason that I've stayed away from buying them is that I don't like the feel - the levers have this odd flex which I can't ignore; I don't know if it's the build of the lever itself or if there's flex in the caliper. That said, I wouldn't want to put the Hopes forward by knocking the Formulas back. I still prefer my slightly higher-maintenance (discontinued) Moto M6, but the V2 is an absolutely outstanding brake and would certainly be worthy of your consideration.

With the exception of faulty calipers in the very early run of V2s (no line CNCd in the rear fin), any noises and binding must be attributed to improper install and set-up, as would be the case with most brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think i'm done with Formula brakes now.
    My Ones have a great feel and power, but the levers move too far before the brakes engage for me. They are ok when the pads are brand new, but after a short time I have to remove the wheels and pump out the pads, but soon after this, they are the same again.
    The breather hole on the inside of the handlebar clamp is not in a great location imo, as i had pitting on my carbon bars which i did not know about, and this came from fluid from this hole.
    The pads do wear very quickly, are not very thick to begin with and are expensive.
    Probably a great brake for downhill racers who are shaving the ounces and replace the pads after every run.
    To top it all off, i returned a faulty One which had a leak in mid November and am still waiting for its return (UK).
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

banned
    Vote for V2. Outstanding. I have the same big complaint about Formula levers as well. They are really bad. Calipers are great, but Formula needs to do something about the levers and not make them so much of an afterthought. They do contribute to feel and appearance.

Pads- V2 pads have lasted a long time, in sandy, wet conditions. Almost completely noise-free with metallics, though in the wet I have some noise that's generally cured with clearing the rotor with dragging or a braking event. The advantages of using the metallic gold pads far outweigh the noise reduction of using the organic pads.

mtbr member
    Straitline will have 'The One' levers in (reportedly) early 09.
    I've used either Dangerboy (RIP) or Straitlines on all brakes I've owned in the last few years, they make a significant difference in that they make all your brake set ups feel the same at the bar even wth different brands of brakes.

banned
    Do they do anything about the flex in Formula's lever clamp? Even the R1 and others I tried at EB all flexed badly, lending to that plasticky feel.

...idios...
    "Straitline will have 'The One' levers in (reportedly) early 09...."

By lever, I mean the whole lever/MC assembly, not just the blade.

mtbr member
    Odd, I'd never noticed excessive flex at the lever body that much - and I've got freakishly giant hands that will put alot of leverage on such things.
    Just went and checked out the bike quiver and yes there is some noticeable lever body flex on my K24s with Straitline levers, but I'm not seeing much with the 'Ones' though. Also looked at my Saints with DB levers, they seem to flex as much as the K24s although none are as bad as a pair of Hayes Mags I checked out...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've never considered lever flex a problem, or even noticed it to be honest (with the One).

The old Hope lever had flex!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You dont have to pull mine hard enough to feel the flex .They lock up along time before they start to flex.
    Straitline levers could be nice.Especially if they are a little wider.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    I've never considered lever flex a problem, or even noticed it to be honest (with the One).

The old Hope lever had flex!

You're right, the old, black mini levers did, but they have not been out in almost three years, and substantially more flex exists in the Formula lever. The Hope lever only flexed a bit, while myself and my colleagues saw the Formula mc/clamp levers completely moving by a large amount towards the bars, and I've seen this on bikes, as well as displays. What's current is the 07 and up silver levers have a widened clamp and flex is nearly non-existent, while the Moto lever further widens the clamp. The new Tech lever was completely flex-free.

Captain Underpants
    I'm going to disagree on the lever flex bit, the levers on the Ones/Megas don't have any appreciable amount of flex. You may think you feel flex, and you may be feeling something else, but put a One/Mega lever in a vise and tell me it flexes/deflects with average/above pressure.

OP: the Ones would be a good choice (there are others, of course). I'm 255 and my Megas stop me on a dime consistently. I keep a supply of pads so as to not run out, which is something to consider.

banned
    RD,

WHat am I seeing? I SEE these levers flex as well. And how does a vice help? What matters is clamped to a bar. They flex, period. On top of that, the feel, while subjective, isn't that great a departure from Juicy levers (not a surprise considering the lineage). Like I said, the calipers seem great, pads are so so, and the levers are poo on otherwise great equipment. If I get the chance, I'd want to pick up some Formulas and mate Hope levers to see how they feel, and hopefully the fluid displacement is matched, as is the case with many brakes at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You're right, the old, black mini levers did, but they have not been out in almost three years, and substantially more flex exists in the Formula lever. The Hope lever only flexed a bit, while myself and my colleagues saw the Formula mc/clamp levers completely moving by a large amount towards the bars, and I've seen this on bikes, as well as displays. What's current is the 07 and up silver levers have a widened clamp and flex is nearly non-existent, while the Moto lever further widens the clamp. The new Tech lever was completely flex-free.
    I have just checked my Ones again and i am just not seeing the flex you are talking about, let alone it being worse than the old Hope lever (although that is incidental).

If i and others who own this brake are not noticing flex, then i have to conclude that it doesn't exist!

mtbr member
    I dunno Jerk, I can't agree with you on this one, my One levers are far from poo, I regularly do 3000+ foot descents and I'm over 200lbs - one finger is all I need. I just don't see the flex in the Ones and as mentioned I can put alot of pressure on the levers, and they feel more solid than my old Saints. I do think that the lever blade is far from perfect - too narrow, as soon as straitlines are available I'll be doing a swap.
    Often checking stuff out on a showroom floor is different than use in the real world, ISX-6 rear shocks spring to mind, and my Slingshot SS...

I like Monkeys
    I've only had my Ones for a couple of months but I don't really see or feel any flex. They do have a softer feel when I'm squeezing them when not riding but I don't notice it when riding. They are by far the best brake I've ever tried, and I can't even see any way to compare the feel of the Ones to Juicy's. I hated my Juicy 5's from the day I got them on my bike and I'm loving the ones. Definitely more than enough for power for me.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm a bit lost as to what your all on about with the lever flex thing, I've never noticed any "flex" when riding.
    I've always been able to lock the brakes with one finger even on long, steep decsents, surely if the levers had significant "flex" this wouldn't be possible as you'd have apply extra force to overcome the "flex" to acheive full braking force.
    The levers can feel a bit soft if your sitting on your bike not moving and really squeezing the levers but the bite point and the actual point full braking power is achieved whilst riding happens way before any softness becomes apparant, also, I did have to bleed mine to release some air in the lines when I first got them which maybe accounts for some peoples lever "flex" complaints

...idios...
    "I'm a bit lost as to what your all on about with the lever flex thing, I've never noticed any "flex" when riding..."

I don't want to get into a pissing match, so could I ask that my comments are read with an appropriate tone? For the record, I've always used Hope brakes on my own bikes since I switched to hydraulics, though, such is my nature, I've had a go on as many brakes as I possibly can when working in shops or at trail heads. I'm quite able to identify when a brake feels soft because it needs a bleed, or if the caliper isn't aligned to the rotor, or if the pistons don't move equally etc.. My observations on the Formula levers (K18, Puro, Bianco) is that they flex when the lever is pulled. There is flex at the clamp, in much the same way that there is with the older Hope Mini lever, but there is also a feeling of movement which appears to eminate from elsewhere, perhaps the lever blade, pivot, or a combination. It's not massive, like it feels as though it's going to flop around or fall off, but it's enough to put me off the brakes. Whether or not anyone else could tolerate this is for them to decide.

I've mentioned it here because I think that it's signifcant enough - particularly comparative to the entirely un-flexy Hope Moto or Tech levers - for folk to consider. There are plenty of stores with bikes spec'd with Formula brakes, so my suggestion would be to go and get a handful and see what they make of it. If the feel of the lever doesn't make an impression, then it doesn't make an impression. As I've already said, I don't think that the actual braking performance has ever been brought into question.

As far as this kind of comment goes...

"If i and others who own this brake are not noticing flex, then i have to conclude that it doesn't exist!"

...could I suggest that 'Horse' considers the definition of the term 'egocentrism'? Wikipedia has a short and quite accessible article. (link).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "I'm a bit lost as to what your all on about with the lever flex thing, I've never noticed any "flex" when riding..."

I don't want to get into a pissing match, so could I ask that my comments are read with an appropriate tone? For the record, I've always used Hope brakes on my own bikes since I switched to hydraulics, though, such is my nature, I've had a go on as many brakes as I possibly can when working in shops or at trail heads. I'm quite able to identify when a brake feels soft because it needs a bleed, or if the caliper isn't aligned to the rotor, or if the pistons don't move equally etc.. My observations on the Formula levers (K18, Puro, Bianco) is that they flex when the lever is pulled. There is flex at the clamp, in much the same way that there is with the older Hope Mini lever, but there is also a feeling of movement which appears to eminate from elsewhere, perhaps the lever blade, pivot, or a combination. It's not massive, like it feels as though it's going to flop around or fall off, but it's enough to put me off the brakes. Whether or not anyone else could tolerate this is for them to decide.

I've mentioned it here because I think that it's signifcant enough - particularly comparative to the entirely un-flexy Hope Moto or Tech levers - for folk to consider. There are plenty of stores with bikes spec'd with Formula brakes, so my suggestion would be to go and get a handful and see what they make of it. If the feel of the lever doesn't make an impression, then it doesn't make an impression. As I've already said, I don't think that the actual braking performance has ever been brought into question.

As far as this kind of comment goes...

"If i and others who own this brake are not noticing flex, then i have to conclude that it doesn't exist!"

...could I suggest that 'Horse' considers the definition of the term 'egocentrism'? Wikipedia has a short and quite accessible article. (link).
    I and others are saying that we do not notice any flex in the Formula Mega/One and you are saying that you think the K18, Puro, Bianco flex when the lever is pulled.

Now, you sound very clever so i don't want to get into an argument with you, but the original question was in regard to the One.

Slovakia (Europe)
    I consider Formula The One or Hope Tech V2 (M4?) for the next season. The Ones are lighter, Tech V2 are much more beautiful. I have no doubts that both brakes are powerful enough. Today I've checked mate's Formula Ones, what impression do they make on me. Definitely at the end of the lever travel there is extra travel with soft feeling (spongy), significantly more then on my old (2006) Hope mini levers (= end of lever travel is better identifiable, although still a bit flexy). If this is called flex, then yes, The One levers are really flex. Definitely.

Hard time for me, what brakes to go ahead. I was almost sure to buy Formulas, but now I'm not so sure... And Hope's workmanship and appearance is far better than Formula's. I think, I'll be good with 180/160 or 180/180 rotors. Votes for Formula? Votes for Tech V2? SteveUK, if you have an experience with Tech V2 or M4, I'd be pleased if you can share them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast