mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula The One bleeding doesn't help

I purchased a used bike with, among other parts, Formula The One. I've been very dissappointed with party damaged parts due to the former owners lacking technical knowledge.

I've now bled the Formula brakes twice, but still no action here. Everything is done step-by-step following the newest manual from Formula. I even de-gased the fluid as Avid usually recommend. All other brakes I bleed turn out excellent, but these won't work at all. They feel squisy and the lever move almost all the way to the bar even when adjusted fully out. I also tried the remove-wheel-brake once-replace wheel procedure several times without much help. They completely lack power..

When bleeding I can't really isolate the MC locking the lever close to the bar. Even when the lever is locked into position all the way in I can still push fluid between syringes, allthough it takes a tiny bit more pressure. Is this normal?

So, could I be overlooking something? I really hope so, cause I'm starting to get afraid that the former owner used DOT 5(silicone) and damaged the seals internally or something. Considering my other problems with the bike I wouldn't be surprised..

Front and rear are identical. They did not work at all before my bleed attempts. Using a fresh bottle of DOT 5.1 and Avid bleedkit.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you have the brakes off the bike when bleeding?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

banned