mtbr member
    May 2006

Formula The One for AM riding??

I have a '09 Nomad on order and I'm presently trying to figure out what components to spec it with.

My target build weight is 30lb and I'll be using the bike on both XC and DH trails. I'm a light-weight myself at 150-155lb with gear. Normally we ride a couple of hours XC to warm up and build condition, then all the fun starts when we bomb DH for another couple of hours!!

I've been thinking about THE ONE's mostly because I've heard so many good things about them and their modulation, but on the other hand I wouldn't like to get them if they are too powerful/aggressive and suitable only for DH.

I'm also thinking that with my weight (although I do ride quite aggressively), maybe I don't need a too powerful set of brakes even for DH...? I'm not sure... I mean, Is rider weight a factor when choosing brakes??

I'm coming from a Juicy 7 background which seem ok on my current ride (Heckler) but to be honest I haven't tried anything else to know better...

My other option are the Elixir's which seem to be Avid's "new Juicys"

I do want to spec the new bike with a good set of brakes with good modulation and to suit my riding conditions/style but I'm not sure if THE ONE's are ''the ones'', if you know what I mean

Your comments / advice are very welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i put "the ones" on my moment, 200F, 160R. i like them very much. i had been using XTRs on another bike; i like the feel of the formulas better, much better. i need to figure out how to get the pads to engage sooner; i would like less lever travel before they engage. the caliper end of the brake line, the banjo fitting, is crimped, any adjustment in length (shortening) must occur on the lever end. i dont think that is a big deal, ill find out soon.

they are relatively light. you can never have too much brake. if you like the design and the cost doesnt bother you, i doubt you would regret it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RosedaleReaper
    i put "the ones" on my moment, 200F, 160R. i like them very much. i had been using XTRs on another bike; i like the feel of the formulas better, much better. i need to figure out how to get the pads to engage sooner; i would like less lever travel before they engage.
    1. Meticulous bleeding
    2. Spot facing (meticulous)
    3. Meticulous alignment using feeler gauges
    4. Keep them clean of brake pad residue (every time you change pads is enough) so you don't get a sticky piston

Commit or eat sh!t
    I use them on both my FR and AM bikes. Too much power on the AM bike, but I can break later and sometimes I use the AM bike on black diamond stuff. The breaking power of the Ones are equivalent to the Codes. The only downside is the price.

Flaccid Member
    If you are lighter than me and I weigh 215 and I run Formula Oro K-18's with sintered pads, they should be fine for you, either those or the K24s. Reading the reviews on the K24's, they seem to be a best value.

3D guy
    I run The One's on my BLT2 (28 lb) trail bike and love them, not too much brake at all. I use 180F and 160R rotors. Setup and bleeding (when shortening the hose) were a breeze. Note, I do recommend bleeding as I was able to extract/degas the fluid in the system a bunch when bleeding and now they have a more solid feel (they were fine out of the box but better now). In any case true one finger braking all the time.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

mtbr member
    These are really sick brakes, at 160f/r on my AM bike they are way stronger than the 203 M4's they replaced. I have the Ones in 203's on my DH bike and they are just as strong as the Moto's they replaced on this bike. They are expensive but wow, are they ever light. For you big fat fatties formula makes a 220 rotor as well.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RosedaleReaper
    . i need to figure out how to get the pads to engage sooner; i would like less lever travel before they engage.
    Chris at Formula USA suggests the following procedure:

1. Pull wheel.

2. Give lever half a squeeze, a very gentle half squeeze really. don't pull too hard or quick.

3. Replace wheel and check pad engagement. if not enough go back to step #1 and repeat till you have the engagement you like.

4. Ride bike.

It is that simple, really. Tho to be honest, I have gotten used to riding my MEGAs with the pad engaging later in the stroke, as it is less tiring on the hands. YMMV.

Bleeding will not fix this specific issue that the MEGAs/ONEs seem to have.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    The Ones are really nice brakes.

But the new Elixirs are really a similar concept.
    And if you go with the Elixir R, they are a lot cheaper.

The Elixir lever shape is even more comfortable to my hand.
    But the ONE looks a bit classier.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I run them on my Ibis Mojo SL (26lbs w pedals) with 180mm/180mm, and love them. Geat power, but more importantly, you can control it. The modulation is outstanding!

one more time
    Oct 2005
    I have them on my nomad - superb brakes, as everyone else mentioned, very powerful and great modulation.

I posted about them a while back....

sweet new brakes on my nomad...
    Bikes, beer and pizza.