mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Formula MEGA/the one caliper problem Poor stopping power

hello
    I have Formula Mega 2009 brakes and from the beggining i have problems with them.

Poor stopping power, really poor.

i send them under warranty to distributor.
    they repaired them (exchanged master cylinders in both front rear brakes) and i had to pay for this BUT brakes still are crap.(no stopping power) and distributor said that everything is ok but it's not!!!

brakes are properly bleeded. no air in the system.

1- when braking hard i can push lever to the handlebar but front wheel wont stop just slow down

2- when pushing lever, caliper is expanding so in my opinion a lot of power goes into it what do u think about????

3- tommotor i'll post movie whats goin on tommorow

please write if it should be luke that.
    Last edited by stefikj; 03-28-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Flaccid Member
    First, clean up your rotors and make sure they are completely free of oil, over spray from chain lube, what ever. Wipe them down with brake cleaner fluid.

Second, are you running Metallic Sintered pads? Pull, them out, and add some water to some fresh 400 wet dry silicone carbid sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface, and run the pads in a 1 inch sized figure 8 pattern, doing 2 or 3 figure 8's

Reinstall, get the bike up to speed, and do 4 or 5 hard stops from 15 to 20 mph. You should feel a significant improvement in stopping power.

You don't mention your weight or the size of your rotors either. It is also possible you contaminated your pads with oil too, and ruined them for good.

Also, pull the calipers off the fork and adapter in the rear, off of the rotors, and squeeze the brake lever 2 or 3 times to take up the slack from wear in your brake pads, making the gap narrower and closer to the rotors. That should give you more bite or engagement with the lever further away from the bars.

Brakes do need to be serviced or adjusted from time to time. Go online to Formula's website to get the full details on how to self service your brakes yourself.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for reply.
    some details
    weight 78 kg /171 lbs
    rotors front - 203mm shimano sm rt-76 almost new
    rear 180mm old formula rotor but in a great shape
    i run metallic pads

i have this brakes for about 1,5 year and they never had enough power
    any other brake that i had and even have works/worked graeat on this rotors (till now i've been using avid juicy 5, hayes mag, many different mnodels of shimano, and even tektro aurigia that i borrowed from my friend works way better than thic crap.

1) brakes are proprely bleeded
    2) i already did many times all steps that you are suggesting but no succes
    3) i even tried many different pads manufacturers

i'm confused cause i paid a lot for this brakes and they just dont work. probably i'll never buy FORMULA again

last time when i send them under warranty with same problem my distributor said that master cylinders needs to be replaced but not under warranty and i had to pay.
    then when i called hid that everything is working as before he said that it's not his fault and its my fault that i use different rotors than formula and he pretends that everything is fine
    but hey i'ts poland :/
    is it possible to send my brakes to differnet distributor in different country or something??

i'm also thinking is it normal (any othaer brake that i had didn't have this problem)
    when pushing lever, caliper is expanding so in my opinion a lot of power goes into it ????

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    this is the brake that i have
    formula mega photo from the Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

where and how caliper is expanding it's 3-4mm
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/51...ga_caliper.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    From those pictures it looks like the Mega is a two-piece caliper. Are you sure the silver bolts holding the two halves together are done up properly? No caliper should under any circumstances deform that much... 3-4mm of flex is a huge, huge amount considering the pads only move a fraction of a millimeter each under normal circumstances.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yes i know, thats why i'm asking
    it's 2 piece caliper and all bolts are properly tightened.
    i'm at work now but later i'll try to record it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There must be something seriously wrong somewhere.
    I highly doubt it is the aluminum caliper body that is deforming, it should be one of the stronger parts of the brake. It would take an unfeasibly large force at the lever to do deform a caliper body that much. Post the video or pictures, they will help identify the source of the flex.

Do you have Mega's front and rear? If so, does the other caliper flex as much?

Flaccid Member
    Do yourself a favor, use regular formula rotors, not the XC version. Worse case, with bleeding, you contaminated your existing pads with brake fluid and destroyed them. Try brand new sintered metallic pads, and wipe off your rotors with brake cleaner fluid or denatured alcohol.

If that doesn't work, just give those MeGa brakes to me and buy something else that works for you.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    as i promised here are 2 videos front and rear Formula megas brakes

front

rear

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    throw them away and get new brakes if you can..

Flaccid Member
    Take the pads out and clean the calipers with an old toothbrush and some denatured alcohol. Keep cleaning them until both calipers move equally when you pull the brake lever. One of them is sticking, as well as your bolts are not tight, the mounts are loose.

You have dirty, very sticky calipers, clean them up and maintain them regularly by keeping them clean. You may have already worn the bore of the calipers to unacceptable limits due to poor servicing to keep them operable and neglect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    1) yes they are dirty but just because there is some dirt from last ride (in wet conditions unfortunately).

2)pistons in both brakes are moving equally when pulling the brake lever !! non of them stuck and never did!!!!

3) calipers are mounted PROPERLY!!!! on both sides there is same gap between pads rotor and pistons MOVE EQUALLY!!!!!

4)bolts are TIGTH when i noticetd what happens with calipers i checked it

I had a lot of brakes and konw how to service them, also never had this kind of problem

poor stopping power FROM FIRST DAY i bought them NEW. i was blaming pads, blaming rotors, exchanged pads few times (all metallic tried koolstop, jagwire, ebc- which were the best, formula )

exchanged rotors

i used brakes in 4x bike so didn't need so much power at all
    now i want to put them to DH bike but they are just too weak
    They are still under warranty but first wonted to find out if you have any ideas what's goin on

i'll try to record it once again during day and different angle cause i used PC cam:/
    Last edited by stefikj; 03-28-2012 at 01:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can you flex the calipers with bare hands? How 'loose' are the two halves?

I don't have personal experience with Formulas, but from the videos it sure looks like the brakes have a serious design flaw, are faulty or both are from a bad batch. It would be extremely unlikely that two independently produced calipers, defective in the exact same way, would end up with the same buyer.

Definitely send the videos to Formula, I think they will agree something is not right. Especially if the brakes are still under warranty.

Flaccid Member
    Agreed send them to Formula, or take your bike in to a bike shop to have them serviced properly. You are either overlooking something simple, or the brakes are defective and need to go back to Formula. Are the bolts to your brake adapters tight also, on the rear brake? Were the surfaces faced that the adapters sit on? Are the adapters stripped out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    all bolts are and always wrer tighteneg properly.
    i'm the guy who cares about my bike and also because of that during season naver had to repair any parts. My bike is always in great condition. Ofcourse a bit of dirt don't bother me but it's not the point to lick your bike after every run
    i send email to formula and few others now wainting for replies. for me it would be best if i could send my brakes straight to formula or to any other authorised service in europe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've watched the video....unfortunately there is no way these brakes will work properly.
    If the bolts are tight and the material of the caliper is showing this much flex then bin the brakes.

You could probably get a set of Shimano SLX or XT for a low price. I've just tried a Demo bike that came with the SLX and I was impressed with the stopping power and trail feel.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I say keep bugging Formula until you get your brakes repaired. In my opinion, it is completely ridiculous to expect the customer to absorb the cost of repairing or replacing factory defective brakes.

If you do, however, decide to get new stoppers, and reside in Europe, Rosebikes.co.uk have awesome deals on the new Shimano brakes. You can get a brand new set of XT's for under 150. It is an absolute bargain. I'm not sure what their policy is on overseas shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    on monday i'll send my brakes to distributor unfortunately i didn't get reply from formula.

once i had to deal with this distributon when i had to pay for replacing master cylinders in this MEGAs brakes.
    I payed cause thaught that finally they will work fine, but did not.
    I called them and nice guy said that brakes are leak-tightness and i'm not using formula pads (as i said i was testing many types) so in his opinion brakes are OK and said "do what you want" and he has put off telephone.

thats why i created this thread to find out what to tell him and how to deal with them
    also to find out if there is a chance to send them to different distributor.

thanks a lot for all replies
    Last edited by stefikj; 03-30-2012 at 12:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you can somehow get them (bike shop/distributor) to watch the video then that should get them thinking....a lot of times you send the brakes off separately and the problem is hard to describe/replicate.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yesterday i send my brakes under warranty to distributor.
    now waiting for reply.

thanks a lot for all advices and replies

i forgot to mention that FORMULA is not responding i send them few emails but no respond
    Last edited by stefikj; 04-04-2012 at 05:50 AM.

~ B A D A S S ~
    The brakes seems broken, I have the same ones and they flex about 0.2mm at max. Maybe yours are made of cheese? Return and get refund.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.