Out there
    Aug 2006

Formula Mega ... holy cr@p!!!

So I used to like BB7s a lot, but then I bought a full squish with Formula K18s, and I liked them so much that I converted all my bikes to K18s and K24s. Two years and no problems later I bought a DH bike with Juicy 3s that were unable to stop it. So I bought a set of Formula Megas off ebay, installed them and...

... they sucked.

Until I broke them in that is.

Now they don't suck.

OMIGOD they don't suck.

I thought the K18/24s were good but these things are like some kind of magic braking fairy dust. The DH bike weights almost twice as much as my SS with the K18s but it stops faster. Grab the brake and YOINK the bike just stops right there, right then. No ifs, no buts, don't care how fast you're going, just HALT! RIGHT THERE!

Whoah.

I'm gonna have to back off the feel adjust, they're that good. I just don't trust myself not to pull a handful of them and catapult myself over the bars. And that's one-finger braking I'm talking about.

I've never done that on a set of Formulas before.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I love my Mega's too. Soooo much power but with the modulation to control it. They are awesome for sure.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Well...I picked up a set of "the ones" with rotors for $200.00 off e bay last week,they should be mounted by mid week.....I'm getting pumped

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Sintered pads take a bit to get bedded in, as on the Mega's and The Ones, but yeah, I've had the same experiences with mine. The Mega is a great brake for those of us with Mega waist lines too. They bring us to a halt mighty fast.

mtbr member
    what size rotors were on your J3's and what size rotors did you switch to with the formulas?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    J3s - 203mm, Megas 200mm, front and back.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    I'm half pleased with my Megas. The front works great but the back is not so great. There are new pads in back but it seems spongy. I tried to bleed them tonight and the front went fine but in the back the brake fluid didn't seem to want to flow much between the syringes. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Out there
    Aug 2006
    The fluid should flow freely between the syringes.

It really helps to get the brake off the bike and follow the instructions minutely. If you have to do it on the bike, it really helps to have another pair of hands.

I like to tap the master cylinder and move it around to disturb any trapped air. Have your assistant hold the full syringe open, and pull on the empty syring, creating a vacuum, then tap the cylinder. If you see bubbles, it means there is trapped air and you need to keep going. The bleed is only complete when making a vaccuum doesn't produce any tiny bubbles. It's amazing how much air you can get in there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help. I follwed the instructions exactly but I think I know what my mistake was (I took the caliper off the bike). I didn't drain and refill the syringes after I bled the front brake so there may have been pressure in there that wouldn't allow them to do their job properly. I'll give it another try.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX