AW_
    locked - time out

Formula lever feel

I picked up a used Formula Oro Puro and just threw it on my bike. Now, the lever feels a bit more squishy than I remember from the Biancos that I test rode last fall. It kind of reminds me of the Juicy as far as feel. Is that normal or should I bleed it?

For reference, Hayes feel "solid" kind of like the brakes on my car. You can tell instantly when the pad hits the rotor.

Juicy let's you know when the pad hits the rotor but then it has quite a bit of give...

And my Gustavs feel kind of vague... but good. You can't quite feel the pads hit the rotor like the other brakes listed above.

The Oros feel most like the Juicy. The pads hit then the lever has quite a bit of throw. More than what I seem to recall. Normal? Or time for a bleed? Should they feel "crisp"?

mtbr member
    The Formula's I've ridden feel a lot firmer than Juicys. I'd try bleeding, especially if the brake is used. Or do you just need to mess with the FCS knob?

AW_
    locked - time out
    Yeah I found the FCS knob right off the bat... I'm thinking I need to bleed it. It is squishier than my Juicies were. Thanks.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    I shortened the lines on my Formulas and the front brake is still nice and firm, a very solid feel which I really like. The rear is kind of squishy still, even after two attempts at a full bleed. The lever feels semi-firm, but after hitting the "firm" point there is still some squish. It is not nearly as solid feeling as the front. I think I am going to try one more bleed and then call the guys at Formula and see what they can come up with. I know there's something off because I rode with the brakes just like they came from the factory before I shortened the lines and they were perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just got new k24s (I think that's what they're called) and did a bleed after shortening the lines. (one full bleed and on the rear just a bleed from the lever, both brakes feel the same)

I can squeeze them and they feel a bit squishy after contacting the rotor, but while riding I don't have to squeeze that hard (1 finger) and can get them to lock the wheels easily. I get a similar feeling that there is still squish after the "firm point"

keep us updated on this.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, it is the same way for me...I don't notice it while riding and the braking performance isn't decreased, it just doesn't feel like it should when the bike is in the stand. I know that it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but when it comes to brakes, I want them to be perfect.

Knollician
    Definately bleed. If you are familiar with the Avid bleeding method, the Formula is even easier (as if it is possible).

When I bought my K24's, I thought they felt a bit squishier at the lever vs my old Juicy's while sitting in the garage. On the trail, they were amazing, and I never noticed.

But, I changed the stock organic pads to the sintered pads and now the lever feels as solid as can be in the garage and on the trail. Do yourself a favor, if you don't have sintered pads, get them. Much better all around, and the power difference is quite noticable.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

banned
    The Formulas I used didn't feel terribly squishy, although I didn't like their feel at all. If I use Formula, I'd actually franken Hope levers to them.

mtbr member
    I have the Oro Puro's, as well. LUUUUUUUUUV them! The feel is, as you stated different on the stand but as others have stated on the trail they are sweet. I have used Hayes and Juicy Carbon's and these have the best modulation and power that you can get, especially for the weight. Now "The One" is coming out and it is a "DH Brake" that weighs a scant more than the Puro's!? I spoke with Chris at Formula about them and he has been using them with smiles all the way. As far as the pads go, I agree with the sintered, better feel, strength and they make less noise. I swapped the carbon lever for Danger Boy's, they are a great feel! So, in essence, I have added all the weight back to the Puro that you save by not getting the K24's but, mine are blingier! LOL!
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    Just installed a set of K24's. With the FCS adjusted all the way "tight", it's like an on/off switch- no squishy at all. You might want to rebleed.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Thanks for the replies. When I test rode the Biancos with 180mm rotors and sintered pads I was absolutely blown away by the power. Lots of bite and such a light weight brake.... awesome. So I will have to get the sintered pads.

I understand the Juicy bleed kit will work on these brakes. At least that is what I heard. Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member

Yes

The Juicy bleed kit will work fine on the Formulas
    Stay off the brakes

Flaccid Member
    When set up and bled properly, with sintered pads, Formula Oro's, in any model, are simply some of the very best brakes available currently, IMHO.

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Guys,

As a general rule, when you have a spongy lever, and cannot identify a location where you may slowly be forcing fluid out of the system (ex. a very small leak), it most often points to air in the system from a bad bleed job.

One other possibility could be if the hose was not shortened properly and fluid is being forced between the different layers of the hose. This will slowly expand the total volume of the system as it gets forced further and further down the line and give the impression that you are loosing fluid or are are having to frequently bleed the system.

To check for this, inspect the hose near the reattachable fitting. If it is thicker than on the crimped end, softer feeling (check with your thumbnail), and twists around easily you will need to replace your hose. We most often see this when people cut their hose with either cable cutters or some other item which causes bad fraying and an crooked cut. A clean and straight cut on the hose is critical. If you do not have a hydraulic tubing cutter, use a brand new razor blade. This problem can also occur if the compression nut is not tightened down to the correct torque spec.

Cheers,

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA