Woodfordp

Formula k24 problem

Hi - running the brakes for over two years with no problems. However back brake is binding, I have cleaning the caliper and checked the pads etc, can't figure it out.

I have purchased the bleeding kit and seems pretty straight coward, thought I would give it a go.

Anyone encountered a similar problem? Any advice?

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2007
    binding..............as in the piston not returning to original position?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Woodfordp
    Yeah, sticking out a mm or so. I have tried to push them back in, have moved a little bit but still touching the rotor. I am useless at this sort of thing but determined to learn!
    Foes FXR, Cannondale Bad Boy (09), Specialized Langster SS (10), Kona King Kikkapu (hers), Specialized Hotrock 24 (daughters)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you can, call the guys at Perigeum Development (707) 765-2770. They are great at helping out.

From what I can tell, your system may have a bit too much fluid in it. You can do a bleed (following the factory instruction) or you an open the mater cyl bleed port in vertical position. Then, press the piston all the way back in. Close the bleed port making sure you didnt let any air in.

The other option is your piston seal is suck. You can clean around it with alcohol. That sometimes does it
    Last edited by ziscwg; 08-19-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Woodfordp
    Thanks for the advice. Going to have a go tomorrow.
    Foes FXR, Cannondale Bad Boy (09), Specialized Langster SS (10), Kona King Kikkapu (hers), Specialized Hotrock 24 (daughters)

agu
    mtbr member
    Hi Woodfordp. were you able to sort your rear brake out?

Woodfordp

Update

I wish I had sorted it, I have got the brake bleed kit and oil, comes to the same price as my LBS doing it for me, probably should have gone to them!!

I have been fitting new LX brakes to my cannondale I then became Ill with a few different things, another week of rest, if I am feeling better will have a go at the weekend and let you know what date I am taking it to the LBS to sort out my 'repair'!! Appreciate you asking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good Call . . .

Two years without a bleed and your system has absorbed water from the atmosphere thru bleed ports et.al.

Hot weather expands your brake fluid. My pads were rubbing the rotors enough to make it un-rideable a slight upgrade. I didn't have my Torx ? to unscrew the bleed port and drain off some fluid. Luckily, we were near the end of the ride because the temperature had just topped 98 F. (FLUID EXPANDS IN HEATED CONDITIONS).

CHEERS!

K

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    If you can, call the guys at Perigeum Development (707) 765-2770. They are great at helping out.

From what I can tell, your system may have a bit too much fluid in it. You can do a bleed (following the factory instruction) or you an open the mater cyl bleed port in vertical position. Then, press the piston all the way back in. Close the bleed port making sure you didnt let any air in.

The other option is your piston seal is suck. You can clean around it with alcohol. That sometimes does it

Woodfordp

Cool-blue Rhythm

Luckily, we were near the end of the ride because the temperature had just topped 98 F.
    This is England..... 98 F. I wish!!!!

Started some bike work yesterday, after nearly throwing some new SKS mudguards through the window (I blamed the medication for my bad mood!) I decided to tackle the brakes today.