Thread: Formula K24

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Formula K24

Sorry if this has been discussed.

I need new brakes and am leaning toward these as they have great reviews.

I am riding 5-6 days a week and wearing through pads every 3 weeks. Apparently, I can't buy pads that last for my Maguras. (Louise)

I understand there may be a better pad option w/ the K24's. Anyone know about this.

Also, might there be a better option than the K24's.

My rides consist of usually a real long hill climb, 2k-3k feet, then the decent. I'm a 50yr old brake a lot down the hill rider if this helps.

MB

3 "fiddy" for short
    The K24s are great brakes. I am using them on my DH bike with the sintered pads. The k24s come stock with organic pads which will wear quicker, so when they go replace them with the sintered.

FWIW, I have had the same set of pads on for about 1 full season of riding. I guess I don't brake that much.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Magura doesnt have sintered pads. You can get them after market, but they could cause issues with heat in the caliper.

The K24s will do nice. I replaced my Magura Martas with K18 (same except for the fcs) Get some sintered pads and you will have extra money to buy beer instead of pads
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

banned
    Magura offers a more durable "Endurance" compound.

mtbr member
    i have had the k24s before they are good brakes i liked them a lot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thx

Gonna buy the k24's.

One other ?, I noticed the brakes don't come w/ rotors if I buy fron an internet dealer. What would the best rotor be for the k24's.

Thx

MB

banned
    If you have a standard sizing on your rotors, you can just reuse them.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Thx

Gonna buy the k24's.

One other ?, I noticed the brakes don't come w/ rotors if I buy fron an internet dealer. What would the best rotor be for the k24's.

Thx

MB
    How much do you weigh? I'd think if you were doing a lot of braking a 180mm rotor up front would be the minimum.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Magura offers a more durable "Endurance" compound.
    I blasted thru the endurance pads too. They are a little better, but cost a little more.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thx

Gonna buy the k24's.

Thx

MB
    That is how formula does their brakes, the rotor and adapter are sold separate in a kit. Unless you are 220 lbs or above, 180/160 mm with sintered pads will do fine for you. If you are above 220, then 200/180 might be better.

Also, call around to your local LBS and ask what they are selling them for. You may find with shipping that the LBS is close to the internet price. There does not seem to be much of a discount on formula stuff.

Gnar
    I have been very happy with my K24's.
    I weight 160 lbs and ride AM with 180/160.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    How much do you weigh? I'd think if you were doing a lot of braking a 180mm rotor up front would be the minimum.

My Maguras are both 180mm

I weigh 160-165 w/ the back pack.

My LBS does not sell them but I'll call around before I internet order as I'm sure someone here (Marin Ca) must sell them.

I think I'll e-mail Formula as well and see what they recommend as a rotor as I need to replace those as well.

Thx all

MB

Feeding your addiction

My LBS does not sell them but I'll call around before I internet order as I'm sure someone here (Marin Ca) must sell them.

MB
    If your LBS won't order them for you then they don't deserve your business anyway (ie: they're either lazy or stupid), any LBS should be able to get them for you as they can be purchased either directly from Formula or through several of the major wholesale distributors.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    ...a word of warning...

I love my oro's (got Biancos). They're light, powerful and sharp.

BUT

The pad area is tiny, and even in the dry they don't last *that* long. Even the sintered ones. In the wet, I'm lucky if I get 2 full day rides out of a rear set of pads.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    ...a word of warning...

I love my oro's (got Biancos). They're light, powerful and sharp.

BUT

The pad area is tiny, and even in the dry they don't last *that* long. Even the sintered ones. In the wet, I'm lucky if I get 2 full day rides out of a rear set of pads.
    WOW!!! That hasn't been my experience at all. I have had a set of sintered pads last me more than 10 full days at Diablo and they are still going strong. After comparing them to a fresh set I could probably get another 10++ FULL DOWNHILL days out of them. Considering that I live 3 hours away from the resort, I only get up there about 10 times a season. So, that means about 2 seasons on a set of pads.

I have been pretty impressed with the life span of these pads. And I am using them pretty hard.

mtbr member
    I went through a set of rear pads on my Megas in one rainy/muddy day at Highland. I called Formula to see if I had a problem and they weren't surprised at all. The said the mud up here is really tough on pads and my situation isn't at all out of the ordinary. They also reminded me that these are performance brakes. I'm sure in the dry things will be much better but I will be very careful on rainy days...
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

banned
    Nov 2007
    [QUOTE=stretch169]I went through a set of rear pads on my Megas in one rainy/muddy day at Highland. I called Formula to see if I had a problem and they weren't surprised at all. The said the mud up here is really tough on pads and my situation isn't at all out of the ordinary. They also reminded me that these are performance brakes. I'm sure in the dry things will be much better but I will be very careful on rainy days...[/QUOTE

whats the lifespan in fry conditon,used for east coast all mountain (no 3,000 ft downhills)on the megas

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've found my Formula K24s to be noisy and finicky. They stop great and all of that, but I'm about to dump them for something else.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow
    I've found my Formula K24s to be noisy and finicky. They stop great and all of that, but I'm about to dump them for something else.
    PM me if you have a price,I may be interested.....pay pal works
    check my feedback on e bay... starliving
    thx d

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Matterhorn rider

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    ...The pad area is tiny, and even in the dry they don't last *that* long. Even the sintered ones. In the wet, I'm lucky if I get 2 full day rides out of a rear set of pads.
    Jon, If you wear out your rear pads before the front pads than you ride like a rookie rider.

Rear brakes are to use sparingly, because all they do is lock up the rear wheel, which skids your rear tire, wears out the tire and destroys the trail . . . a 'rookie rider'.

Rear brakes are important for feathering speed at low speed switchbacks downhill. They are also important to use without the front brake when you are landing the bike off a jump and you don't want to lock the front brake and fly over the handlebars.

Absent these two instances are to be seen, but not heard. Most of your braking power comes from the front brakes due to the laws of physics.

I have seen cases of people who can ride for many years and never figure it out, including one of my patients, who was the worst experienced rider that I have ever seen.

Most people in the know would gloss over these facts and not let you know. When I worked my way through school as a waiter, I would always present the cork on a white wine bottle to see if the buyer would smell the cork. 99% of the buyers would commit this error. Jon, do you smell the white wine corks? Just checking.

Happy Holidays.

Kane

However:
    Date of Birth:
    June 30
    From
    (City, State or Country):
    London
    Year started riding:
    Favorite type of riding
    (can choose more than:
    No specific one
    Favorite Trail:
    Champery singletrack, Swiss Alps
    Number of bikes owned:
    Bike Setup:
    Turner RFX
    Fox Talas RLC
    Hope/Mavic wheels
    Hope M4's
    Sram 9/XT drivetrain
    Easton/Thomson finishing kit

Cotic Soul 853
    Fox Floats
    Crosmax Enduros
    Hope Minis
    SRAM 9/XT drivetrain
    Thomson/RF finishing kit

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hey mb323323, they had them in stock at sunshine bikes in the san anselmo/ fairfax area, im not sre if they came with rotors/adapters though

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanrosenbach3
    hey mb323323, they had them in stock at sunshine bikes in the san anselmo/ fairfax area, im not sre if they came with rotors/adapters though
    Yep, Thanks

The rock down there at Sunshine and are going to hook me up w/ the K24's, rotors, etc. Also ordering a new talas, other parts as my bike needs an overhaul.

If you're local, big points for Sunshine as they offering me a great price keeping in mind they have to profit as well to stay in business. They are being more than fair w/ me.

Thx for the heads up anyway.

MB

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    im actually sponsored by summit bikes, so i get 40% off the bikes and 25% off all the accesories and all the parts. summits my store, but sunshine has a lot nicer brands (moots, c-dale, formula etc)