mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Formula K24 2008 vs. 2009

I'm about to invest in some new brakes, and have pretty much narrowed it down to Formula K24s (one possible exception - the new Hope X2). I was looking at the 2009 brakes on Formula's website. Are there any differences between the 2008s and 2009s? I can't seem to see any (except perhaps colour). Anything? Just wondering in case perhaps I can save a few bucks on 2008 version

Thanks.

mtbr member
    CBO has them for $119 but for that price they come in 1250 line lengths, so you either have to order new lines or get thier tubing end kit for the front and a new line for the rear. Eveybody is out of stock on both. I called Formula yesterday and they hooked me up with a new front line, bleed kit, and their last line kit for the rear, shipped for $112, so here I was thinking I was saving alot it turned out only about $40 bucks and I have to wait. Either way I wanted the Formulas. I was told the ones from CBO are OEM brakes.

mtbr member
    - The brake levers are different, they are smaller, like the levers of The One.
    - Furthermore, the way the lever is attached, is also different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Right now I am running J7's and am getting sick of stuck pistons, etc. Saw the CBO offer for 120! Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on these. One thing, will I regret not getting the 180 mm rotor for up front?

I like Monkeys
    I don't know about using K24's but I just went from J5's to Ones. Big difference in modulation, noise and feel. So far I'm a big formula fan!
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Went for my first ride with the k24's, all I can say is WOW. Coming from juicy3's, yea I know, no comparison. The line change over was easy and so is bleeding. Now I know what everybody means when they say modulation. Awsome product and CS.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    My Bionicon came with Formula Oro K-18's. I didn't know how good I had it until I rode a couple of my friends bikes with different brand brakes. The modulation for me, with being a clyde and riding steep hills with 200mm rotors has been fantastic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good to hear more positive reviews - I went with the K24s (2009 version).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I saw a bit different part (activator) on the bottom of the lever

Does the 2008 model have some kind of activator adjustment ( screw at the end of activator under the lever )?
    The 2009 model looks like there is a triangle monolith and fixed seting

The brake levers are different for shure, the 2009 have a screw for easy replacement or sth.

not really an mtbr member
    The reach adjustment is a hex bolt (1mm?) on the front of the lever.

mtbr member
    I have the 2007 (I think they're similar to the 2008s)...the way the lever attaches to the caliper body is via this tiny screw that basically puts pressure on the bolt that hold the lever there. Looks like they got rid of that and use a hex bolt which I like better. The other issue I had on mine recently was that during a crash the reach adjust pin popped off of the FCS body (had to take the lever off and re-align it and screw it all together). The setup on the 2009s looks more stable because that metal part right next to the FCS is right against it and it doesn't look like the pin can pop out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverXC
    I saw a bit different part (activator) on the bottom of the lever

Does the 2008 model have some kind of activator adjustment ( screw at the end of activator under the lever )?
    The 2009 model looks like there is a triangle monolith and fixed seting

The brake levers are different for shure, the 2009 have a screw for easy replacement or sth.
    That actuator is actually the only difference between the K18 and K24 as far as I know. Its the FCS (Feeling Control System) for pad contact adjustment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    .[...] The other issue I had on mine recently was that during a crash the reach adjust pin popped off of the FCS body (had to take the lever off and re-align it and screw it all together). The setup on the 2009s looks more stable because that metal part right next to the FCS is right against it and it doesn't look like the pin can pop out.
    You have convinced me to 2009 I was looking for 08 K24 but now i will wait for the new model
    Thanks for that info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    I have the 2007 (I think they're similar to the 2008s)...the way the lever attaches to the caliper body is via this tiny screw that basically puts pressure on the bolt that hold the lever there. Looks like they got rid of that and use a hex bolt which I like better. The other issue I had on mine recently was that during a crash the reach adjust pin popped off of the FCS body (had to take the lever off and re-align it and screw it all together). The setup on the 2009s looks more stable because that metal part right next to the FCS is right against it and it doesn't look like the pin can pop out.
    Yea, I definitely like that lever mount better for the same reasons you said. That tiny screw for the lever pin is too small and too awkward for my tastes. I wonder if there is a way to retrofit the new levers and mounting system to the old system. The master cylinder and housing and such look the same. I've been toying with swapping levers since the OEM K24 levers don't fit best for me - I use my middle finger only to brake.