mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Formula K24 with '07 XTR shifters?

Anybody tried this combo out? I am curious about how well the levers/shifters integrate with one another. I am hot and bothered for the '07 XTR, but have had terrible experiences with the XTR discs (had numerous calipers, the majority of which had the sticky piston problem). Seems that Formula has the most well reviewed brakes...

mtbr member
    Yep, I just installed that combo on my 2007 Transition Preston. The XTR shifters are super nice -- I actually ordered the XTs first since that's usually where the value is, but then when I saw the XTRs in the store I had to have them! The K24s are also very nice, although I have a persistent squeal in the front I cannot get rid of. I swapped out the Formula rotors for beefier Shimano rotors (I'm using 8"), and the noise was gone at first but then came back. Now I've ordered new pads to see if that will work.

As far as the combination of the two goes, at first I was annoyed because it seemed like the body of the K24 brake lever housing was in the way of where I wanted to put the shifters. But then it turned out that in order to facilitate one-finger braking, the brake levers had to be mounted WAY inward on the bar compared to the shifters (like 2" or so inward from the shifter levers). This got them out of the way and then I adjusted the sweet sliding mechanism on the shifters to get them where I wanted and now everything is great. Now if only I could get rid of the squeal!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    Anybody tried this combo out? I am curious about how well the levers/shifters integrate with one another. I am hot and bothered for the '07 XTR, but have had terrible experiences with the XTR discs (had numerous calipers, the majority of which had the sticky piston problem). Seems that Formula has the most well reviewed brakes...

I run this combo on my stumpy no problem.