mtbr member

Formula K18s with Hayes Rotors/Adaptors

I did a little searching and I know it is "not advised" by Formula, but does anyone have experience with running this combo. I was considering using both a Hayes rotor and a Hayes adaptor (both 8"). I'm not sure of the rotor thickness differences or braking path variables.

And/or . . . how about any updates on 2-piece rotors in 200mm size? I didn't see info on rotors on formula's website.

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to try Formula brakes.

toby

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Hmmm.

What part of "not advised" don't you understand?

Save your money and buy all the proper parts and do it right the first time. You'll be time and money ahead in the long run, and save yourself a ton of frustration and aggravation. Formula Brakes, rotors, and calipers are an integrated system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    OUCH! I was just try to see if some of my existing parts wolud work. I guess I'll go with the Formula adaptors and rotors.

Now . . . any more info on the 2-piece rotors?

toby

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    I think I read somewhere that there's not much braking advantage to the two piece rotors, other than that they look blingy and are more spendy?

mtbr member
    i know where you're coming from...look a rotor is a rotor, and i tried my hayes rotors and adaptors on my formulas but just dropped the $$$ on the new rotors. however you're right, not only is it not 'advised' but the manufacturer may void the warranty if swapping/mixing parts. but like i said, they do work fine because a 6" formula is a 6" hayes (as long as u have the correct adaptors). i think the 2piece rotors had issues with some people hitting the connection points.

Meh.
    160mm is 160mm. There is no 6" rotor. I've mixed Hayes adapters and rotors with Avid calipers. They're the same profile and same size. It works fine. I think that voiding the warranty for using another brand's rotors is kind of dumb, are they going to void your warranty for using different pads too?

2-piece rotors can be lighter and can offer better heat management. Though they're not really a true floating design. Sometimes the carrier/rivet is too wide and there are contact issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The outer diameter is standard 160mm. Thats right. The only problem is the width of the braking surface of the rotor. And this surface is brake pad specific. Formula pads can be different sized from hayes. The width of the rotor is also a question. Probably not a big issue, but there are differences too.

A Member
    Mar 2007
    I'm using a rear Hayes rotor (160mm with Hayes adapter) with my K18's and a formula front rotor for 6 months. It fit fine at installation, pads are wearing evenly (therefore I assume pads are tracking rotor fine, it looks like it), and slightly less than the front (which is expected). Recently occasionally when edging of the rear brake it will vibrate slightly, whether it's the rotor-brake combo or 1 of a million other things, I don't know. But it's definitely better than when I had my Hayes on there, and the front Formula rotor squeaks a bit when dry.
    Power is great.
    If it does void the warranty maybe it's not worth it though, but I have never had problems.
    They're great brakes, enjoy them when you get them!

Meh.
    I'm aware that there are different widths and thicknesses. As long as the pad makes full contact, there shouldn't be an issue. Hayes rotors are pretty wide. And there are some excellent aftermarket rotors. The pistons can pump out for thinner rotors. As for the surface being specific to the pad... I think it's only the grade/hardness of the steel. And I doubt that they have several different grades specific to each of their own compounds.

mtbr member
    I've been running Hayes V6 rotors and adapters on my K24's since day 1 - no problems whatsoever. As XLS WiLL has, I've mixed Hayes, Formula, and Avid rotors, calipers, and adapters together with no issues.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Another thought

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Hmmm.

Save your money and buy all the proper parts and do it right the first time. You'll be time and money ahead in the long run, and save yourself a ton of frustration and aggravation. Formula Brakes, rotors, and calipers are an integrated system.
    Formula wants you to buy their rotors because they are a company and sell product. They don't want you running other companies' rotors. I run XT on Avid rotors; work perfect. I have run Hayes with Maggie; no problem. Big surprise? No! Formula wants to sell product to make money. Capitalism is a good thing...

Jaybo

mtbr member
    No doubt that's part of it. The other part is that any mfgr. designs and tests their products to work with their own stuff. That is, (insert manufacturer of choice here) knows exactly how their brakes will perform with their adapters and rotors - they typically don't test their system mixed with other mfgr.'s components and therefore can't stand behind the performance of their stuff when used with others' components. This I certainly understand.

(My soapbox moment) - On the other hand, I'd be really chapped if it's true that a waranty is voided because a product was used with someone else's adapters or rotors. This would be complete ********e (which may, in fact, be nothing more than "urban legend" as I haven't directly consulted any mfgr.'s concerning this).