mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Formula K18 vibration

Just built up a Vassago Jabborwocky with Formula K18 brakes. After about the 5th ride I started getting a deep vibration/chatter in the rear brake. The ride previous there was nothing of the sort. Otherwise the brakes are working great. Any help would be appreciated.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiksc
    Just built up a Vassago Jabborwocky with Formula K18 brakes. After about the 5th ride I started getting a deep vibration/chatter in the rear brake. The ride previous there was nothing of the sort. Otherwise the brakes are working great. Any help would be appreciated.
    Wish I could help you but I can't and have had the same problem.

I have K24s. Used them on my Sultan for a year without any problems. Moved them to my HT SS and the rear warbles like mad.

What I've done to date:
    - faced caliper tabs
    - torqued all bolts to spec
    - replaced pads with different compound
    - replaced pads with a different brand
    - replaced rotor
    - replaced adaptor
    - resurfaced rotor with emory cloth and cleaned with denatured alcohol

I'm currently in the process of retensioning my rear wheel spokes. If that doesn't work then I'm moving on......
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I used to have squeal and chatter, but it took me months of riding and it disappeared. This only happened on the rear, too. I thought of it as my trail bell!!
    It will return if I feather the brakes lightly. If I pull on the brake hard, the squealing goes away.

So my suggestion, only brake hard!! Sorry, can't think of anything to helpful. Yeah, I did straighten my rotor a bit and made sure I centered the caliper.

Barfed
    Jun 2007
    Check the caliper bolt torque specs, as in the bolts that hold the halves together. If you loosened one to move your banjo it may not be back up to torque spec.

My other guess wold be pad glazing, try swapping pads from the front and see if the noise goes away.