Flaccid Member

Formula K18 sticky calipers

I've had these just over a year now, I've been anal about cleaning them every time I do brake pad set install... cleaned the calipers out with brake fluid, dot 4 and Q tips, making sure things are nice and clean.

It seems now that no matter what I do, the left calipers, both front and rear, are now sticking and not wanting to come out of their respective bores to do their part of the braking job. Instead, the right side calipers push out of their bores, thereby flexing the rotors into the left side caliper pad for some braking action.

I'm about to just pull both brakes and send them off to Formula for them to inspect and rebuild the calipers, or just buy new cailpers all together, as I've a feeling the bores of the calipers are ovalled from all the braking and vertical I've done, about 2000 miles and 385,000 feet of climbing and descending. I've gone through 4 sets of pads up front and 3 sets in the rear in that time.

Other than the sticking of the calipers, the brakes are amazing.

Anyone else had this problem with Oro's? BTW, I'm a Clyde and weighed 255#'s when I got these, I'm down to 210 # now.

ride hard take risks
    Would guess your over cleaning and washing away any lube/fluid causing a dry seal seize. Try and add brake fluid to the piston while is poking out pretty far then twist a screwdriver between to push them back into the bores, may have to do a couple times. If that fails order a rebuild lit and rebuild the calipers lubing the seals with brake lube.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had success with the procedure described by Magura to mobilise pistons, worth a try.