Thread: formula help

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

formula help

I'm looking for brakes for bike build I'm due to finish and stuck on what to get. I want to use formulas for various reasons and boiled down to 2009 the one mainly although I've got k24's as considered 2nd to save cash at expense of a lot of power in some situations. The bike they'll go on is custom built around my personal riding style and trying keep cost low too. I care nothing for bling nor weight as far as the weight difference between these go that is.

The k24's will be fine for a lot of the time but a little short in some situations and it's likely to become my one trick pony. The ones on the other hand will be overkill for fair bit of the time but will have power when it's needed. Secondly I don't mind carrying the extra weight if it means I always have extra in reserve as in my book it's never bad thing as redundant power at cost of such low extra weight is bonus.

I'm aware the k24 are discontinued (as the 09 model the ones are but pads are same as current I'm guessing) and wondered if this will affect future pad availability. I'm looking at 2009 models due to price being much lower. Which I go with depends on 2 things,

1: the pads and perhaps parts availability in future and
    2: Durability under regular use discounting abuse such as crashes although they are bound to happen from time to time.

Also as side note have people noticed much significant difference between pad wear between those 2 brakes running same pad type and rotor size that is. I know they are worlds apart still in terms of what they are aimed at but if k24s get more plus points against the one in terms of durability, less maintainance and parts/pad stocks then they will probably be better choice for me and I'll make do with less power at times in favour of price and maintainance considerations. Thanks.

T.W.O.
    What 2 brakes may be I missed something?

As for your questions, I won't worry about the pads I'm quite sure you can get them somewhere along the way. Oro series occupy many different models. If you like the brake and worry about availability just get a couple sets of pads. Each set last a while, by the time you are done you need a new set of brakes already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    What 2 brakes may be I missed something?
    He's looking at the Formula Oro K24s and the Formula The Ones.

I've never used The One brakes, so I can't tell you much about that. I've been happy with my K24s in general, and I'm using them with 180mm rotors. However, I would also be the first to tell you that I'm not the balls-out fastest person on the downhills, and here in Maryland we don't have the longest downhills in the world so I'm generally not worried about my brakes overheating. I personally don't need any more brake than the K24/180mm rotor combo, but you have to keep the limitations above in mind.

You haven't really said what type of riding you are doing nor what you are using right now. If you are generally doing cross country to light all mountain riding, I'd stick to K24s and go with either 180 or 200mm rotors. If you are more on the all-mountain to downhill side I'd go with The Ones. Hopefully, other people will weigh in to give you more opinions.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    He's looking at the Formula Oro K24s and the Formula The Ones.

I've never used The One brakes, so I can't tell you much about that. I've been happy with my K24s in general, and I'm using them with 180mm rotors. However, I would also be the first to tell you that I'm not the balls-out fastest person on the downhills, and here in Maryland we don't have the longest downhills in the world so I'm generally not worried about my brakes overheating. I personally don't need any more brake than the K24/180mm rotor combo, but you have to keep the limitations above in mind.

You haven't really said what type of riding you are doing nor what you are using right now. If you are generally doing cross country to light all mountain riding, I'd stick to K24s and go with either 180 or 200mm rotors. If you are more on the all-mountain to downhill side I'd go with The Ones. Hopefully, other people will weigh in to give you more opinions.
    Ahh! Well I have both sorta, I have the Oro Puro, and the one. Like them both. They do feel better than Avid and Shimano. I prefer the woody lever feel Formula and Magura offer. I've tried all of the rotor combo and find that for AM ride 203f/180r is awesome, even tried the 220f/180r on The One. Modulation is great but it's harder for me to get the adapter as my the Formula adapter does not work with my Magura Wotan, it's already 203mm minimum rotor required.

Even the Puro would have plenty of power, and the caliper can dissipate heat build up quite well. That said I've never put the 160mm rotor in the front.

One bling upgrade I may offer to y'all is the Twenty6 Dually lever. I have both for The One and Puro, but have not swap them yet . However, I did it with the Juicy7 and I just love them. They are on sale for $20 can't beat that Give Tyler a call what color he still has, you won't be disappointed. Here's the link. http://www.twenty6products.com/2010/...tinued-levers/

mtbr member
    I sheared the hose on my Ones. The parts cost a lot. The fitting was replaced by using the ono fitting which saved me like 40$ vs the whole hose which was limited availability and only in a clashing color.

Pads and or rotors are not an issue in the aftermarket. But factory stuff is hard to get.

However, coming from avid CR the stopping power is like night and day. Riding CRs on the tranny still but they feel like V brakes compared to the Ones on my Mojo. They are so good I am going to reduce the rear back to 160 this spring. Maybe the front as well. I am about 160lbs geared up, but my buddy who is 270ish tried them and loves them as well.

Last note, the rotors are weight reduced too much imo, they are flexy. In all, the only shimano parts I subscribe to are their tubeless road and mtb wheelsets for economical choices (in comparison to tricons and crankbros I own) and shimano rotors.. no matter which calipers. I have 6 srs mtb and a cross bike between me and the kids. I consider our riding aggressive trail... w/e that means.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for replies. I'm leaning toward "the one" still. They are for a new build so they aren't replacing anything. Style is mixed as making single bike to cope with everything I throw at it but somewhere between XC and AM mostly and nothing too heavy, basically a rough XC bike that will handle harder abuse and my weight.

It's mixing like that which has killed my previous rigs in the past that have been regular light xc level more than anything and some of my use definitely counts as abuse hence decided to build new bike around my style (or lack of rather ) that will handle more rough stuff without dying on me or riding at its limit. I'm not the most buttery rider and that doesn't help

I'm 15 something stone and 6'4" and ride with fair amount of gear on top of that. On the steeper stuff some brakes simply just wont stop me or it's a none stop tweakfest to keep them working reliably (ie. they ain't).

Looking at 180 front and 160 or perhaps 180 rotor on rear. Have considered using 203 up front but unsure about that yet (my Tora is rated for it but if can get away with 180 that's less stress on my skewer/fork etc). Overheating isn't issue as I don't do long descents. I'm in UK and not much long big stuff here, at least that I ride, although Wales and the Lakes has fair amount of nice gradients they are short for the most part hence looking more for power to slow my weight quick and reliability than long descent performance.

I don't like riding anything at its limit if can help it hence I don't mind carting few extra pounds of weight for more power when needed or added durability especially where brakes and drivechain are concerned. I ride for fun so little extra weight is nothing to me and looks wise this newest bike is an aesthetic monstrosity most wouldn't be seen dead on haha.

mtbr member
    I have the K24's on two bikes. One is a RM Slayer, 5" AM bikes, the other is a Niner RIP 9. Both have 160 rotors.

I've done long, hard, fast, technical, etc... downhills and never had a single problem with either set. Most shops don't carry Formula parts, so you'll want to keep spares of anything you think you may need. Anyone should be able to order them, or get them online.

Pads for the K24 series will be around for a long time. There are thousands of the Oro series out there, and they use the same pads.

Unless you are doing super long downhills, or it's a downhill rig, the K24's will be fine. My RIP 9 is my 'do everything' bike and they are great on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    no it's definitely not downhill rig and not likely to become one and long sections don't apply as stated it's more level of power I'm thinking. Basically an XC hard tail built around strength before weight when it comes to drivechain and wheels mainly so weighs in quite heavy for xc.

Reconsidering after responses and looking around some more k24s seem like they probably will have all the stopping power I need since long runs wont really happen. I tend to brake heavy to slow ASAP as and when needed rather than as speed control in general as I notice some do.

Riding style wise for the gentle slowdowns I tend to just stop pedaling or slow my cadence and naturally slow than gently flutter or lightly touch brakes as it may be bad form of me I don't know but I see brakes as method of stopping or slowing me when it's necessity rather than as speed control. Good modulation matters in that sometimes I don't want to loose too much speed as that could be equally disastrous as going too fast but in general woody harder feel is better for me than the alarmingly gentle feel I have found on friends and past brakes where I need to pull them really hard to slow quick enough (granted all cheaper price bracket). Nearly been the death of me several times were it not for the fact wooden stake through the heart is the only real method of keeping me down. That's the reason I was considering what I know to be a DH brake on an XC to AM hardtail which seems crazy until I explain (which is still possibly VERY wrong hence post here for opinions).

Thanks again for all feedback, I think I will try the k24's. I guess can set them up on the hard side and stopping power will be similar to the one in many regards as far as my riding goes and considering I wont use them heavily for extended periods.

Members who have read this thread: 0