mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Formula Brakes - Couple of Questions

For those of you out there that run Formula brakes ive a couple of questions that im not finding answers for...

1) Speedlock feature - am i missing the point of this? i like the idea but im woindering when it becomes useful.....im one of the few thats had no problems with his Avid Code Rs and cant find a great deal of info to tell me when this becomes a godsend feature.....cleaning maybe?

2) Ive tried Formulas brakes (the one i think) and could adjust them close enough to the grips to feel safe, have Formula changed their brakes to deal with this or are they still the same? Ive big hands (7.5" from middle finger to wrist) and adjusting them to the max still didnt help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, I have no idea why the average person might need speed lock, seems like something else that's possible to break... the only logical thing I can think of is rental bikes, I run my front brake on the right, just like on the moto, most run it on the left... other than that I can't think of any reason why I would need it.

I have big hands (not quite that big) and playing around with the reach adjustment and also the pad contact I could get the lever in the perfect place and also get the pads to bite right were I wanted them. Makes me wonder if there is aftermarket levers for lumberjack sized hands?