mtbr member

Formula Brakes Buyers Remorse

What a bummer. I spent WAY too much time researching a good set of hydro brakes for my Niner build and finally bought a set of Formula OROs. The only negative I have read on them (other than price) was how hard it was to get parts. Guess it serves me right for not listening.

I need to shorten the rear hose, and after e-mailing Formula Brake USA to ask what the name of the parts/kits were (FD40011-40 - Oro tube joint kit as it turns out) I have now exhausted every source I can find for the overpriced $20+ kit that surely cost $.10 to make.

On another note, I still need to determine if the AVID bleeding kit I have will work with these brakes as I guess the AVID bleed screw on the syringe works with some Formula brakes and not others. Could be in for more hassle.

Should have bought XT brakes.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

Spooooon!
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I have two set of the Oro brakes and love them. Things go out of stock from time to time. You don't need the entire kit to shorten a line, you just need the barb and the collar (which you can get direct from Formula). You can reuse the other pieces. The Avid bleed kit works perfect on the Oro. Just cut down the syringe hose and use a zip tie to hold it in place. The brakes are great, just give them a chance.

mtbr member
    I would really like to give them a try. Is this what you call the "collar" and what part exactly is the barb?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22473

I have been in contact with Formula USA and they were the ones that advised I needed the kit (and that they were out). I need to ask them if I can just get these two parts then. I have just replaced the item in the link I sent on Avid brakes when shortening them.

Spooooon!
    The barb is the small piece that fits inside the hose. It's second from the right in this pic; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22472.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have the new The One FR and it came with the spare parts needed to shorten the line. If you bought them new, I think they should have come with them. Previously I owned Magura Martas, and they also came with a spare set of barb fittings and the collars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    The barb is the small piece that fits inside the hose. It's second from the right in this pic; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22472.
    That's very similar to what I got.

The rear brake hose was too short, so I had to buy a new one which came 2mts length, then I went to my LBS to buy the fittings and it worked perfectly.

BTW I really like these brakes!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs
    What a bummer. I spent WAY too much time researching a good set of hydro brakes for my Niner build and finally bought a set of Formula OROs. The only negative I have read on them (other than price) was how hard it was to get parts. Guess it serves me right for not listening.

I need to shorten the rear hose, and after e-mailing Formula Brake USA to ask what the name of the parts/kits were (FD40011-40 - Oro tube joint kit as it turns out) I have now exhausted every source I can find for the overpriced $20+ kit that surely cost $.10 to make.

On another note, I still need to determine if the AVID bleeding kit I have will work with these brakes as I guess the AVID bleed screw on the syringe works with some Formula brakes and not others. Could be in for more hassle.

We have all a drink of the bike bling koolaide,yes xt are the most ha$$el free brakes I have used to date....If your going for bling, go with hopes next time,they're worth the extra $$$

mtbr member
    Ok, I got this one. After having brake fluid get between the plastic coating and the kevlar on the brakeline on my Ones, I was also pissed to find that a new brake line was around $70. Total BS I say. I noticed that Jagwire sells aftermarket parts for all the manufactures. Much cheaper. You can pretty much get a 5 pack for the same price as Formula totally phucks you for for one. Go on Jagwires website, copy/paste the part numbers into Bikeman.com and you will find what you are looking for. It still won't be cheap, but at least you will have tons of extra parts.

mtbr member

You can get a box of 10 compression bushing and needles (aka barbs) from Jagwire for only a little more than the price of a single Formula hose fitting kit. The Formula fittings are pretty over priced.

From what I read, the Avid bleed kits should work with all of the Formula brakes, except the R1. The screw-in fittings will interfere with part of the level body on the R1s.

I had XTs, but upgraded to the R1s. I didn't really like the XTs stopping power, but in retrospect I probably should have upgraded the pads first. But I think I saved about half a pound by upgrading to the R1s.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I know some people who are happy with Formula, until they need replacement parts, you know, like brake pads, and they can't get them, or things like fittings or lever parts and if they are available, it would likely be cheaper to get new brakes. I think that's what Formula USA does. They price things so that it makes one think about getting a new set of K brakes or something...or something else altogether. Be resourceful and find the generic stuff from other manufacturers, like fittings and such. Way cheaper than Formula.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    Ok, I got this one. After having brake fluid get between the plastic coating and the kevlar on the brakeline on my Ones, I was also pissed to find that a new brake line was around $70. Total BS I say. I noticed that Jagwire sells aftermarket parts for all the manufactures. Much cheaper. You can pretty much get a 5 pack for the same price as Formula totally phucks you for for one. Go on Jagwires website, copy/paste the part numbers into Bikeman.com and you will find what you are looking for. It still won't be cheap, but at least you will have tons of extra parts.
    Done. Great advice. I appreciate it. Here is the part numbers from Jagwire's site and here is the pricing from Bikeman in case anyone else is interested.

BR0487 Jagwire HyFlow Formula Compression Bushing, Bag of 10 - $16.99
    BR0486 Jagwire HyFlow Formula Needle, Bag of 10 - $9.99

For what it is worth, Charlie at FormulaUSA has been very helpful and responsive to my questions and I do understand that the ORO brakes I have were discontinued in '09 (and thus parts are hard to get), but I knew by posting a thread here at MTBR I'd find another good solution.

I am also glad to hear that the AVID bleed kit will work with these brakes.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Done. Great advice. I appreciate it. Here is the part numbers from Jagwire's site and here is the pricing from Bikeman in case anyone else is interested.

BR0487 Jagwire HyFlow Formula Compression Bushing, Bag of 10 - $16.99
    BR0486 Jagwire HyFlow Formula Needle, Bag of 10 - $9.99

For what it is worth, Charlie at FormulaUSA has been very helpful and responsive to my questions and I do understand that the ORO brakes I have were discontinued in '09 (and thus parts are hard to get), but I knew by posting a thread here at MTBR I'd find another good solution.

I am also glad to hear that the AVID bleed kit will work with these brakes.
    Just because products have been discontinued (and mere months ago!) doesn't mean that parts should not be available. It's a Formula supply design. They keep turning over new models all the time, then stop supporting them. Other companies, like Magura, Hope, and even Avid, support their products for years.

Moosehead
    I'm going to disagree with the critics here as IMO, Formulas have rocked.

+1 to the above suggestions for Formula parts alternatives and that you only really need the compression bushing (collar), and plug (barb) to shorten lines, or new lines if you want to lengthen. Note that the Jag plug/barb may not have the proper o-ring and flat top that the Formula version requires (photo below), but otherwise all else is compatible.

+1 to Chris at Formula USA, he makes it all happen here despite typical import hurdles, whether it is solid tech info on their website, parts distribution, or guidance. Call him at 707-765-2770. Formula plans on supporting older generation models for at least 4-5 years, so even if they are out of stock on a few parts now, those parts are still getting produced.

EDIT: I called Chris this past Tues morning for parts, and despite him just getting back from Sea Otter, the parts were delivered on Thursday. An LBS can't do that in 2 days. Thumbsup.

Above all else, +1 to Formula Brakes performance and ability to service them yourself reliably after the initial learning curve. This includes caliper and MC rebuilds if you care to DIY. If you don't have the cash to spring for the latest models, stock up on the K24's while you can, they work brilliantly and have the FCS. Thanks to all the other wrench tips on this Brake Forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Formula Brakes Buyers Remorse-img_0938.jpg  

Last edited by moosehead; 04-23-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to chime in here and mention a few things.

First off, Elbowscab, sorry that you were having trouble finding small parts.

Regarding Small Parts Availability:

We distribute our brakes and small parts with 4 of the largest bike parts suppliers in the US (QBP, BTI, Hawley and Cyclone), as well as through Formula USA (us) directly. Sometimes shops deal with one or two of those distributors, but not the others or all of them. On occasion, parts do go out of stock, but generally if one distributor stocks out, others will have the part. We have grown pretty fast the past few years and this can make it difficult to always have everything in stock. If you are ever in dire need of a small part, give us a call in the office and we can help you find which distributor has it in stock so that your shop can get it ordered up. I promise we will go above and beyond to keep your down time to a minimum. Even though the ORO line has been discontinued, we will have small parts in stock for these brakes for many years to come - not too worry.

Regarding our small parts pricing:
    For the fittings, we sell 5 packs of hose pins or compression ferrules for $5.95. The fitting kit you were referencing actually also comes with the new banjo and compression nut which are necessary to trim the hose for the first time - so it is not an apples to apples comparison with the Jagwire pricing. I should also note that the compression nut and banjo are the parts which are more expensive for us to manufacture. Each ORO brake came with those parts included in the box when new, unless you bought them used or bought grey market product - off ebay or example, which we cannot control). Also, remember that all our parts are made in Italy - not Taiwan. This also impacts pricing. Though the value of the US dollar has been increasing, it still trades 1.35 or so versus the Euro. This means some of our parts cost a bit more - but we also feel that they are higher quality than the stuff coming out of Taiwan.

If you guys ever need anything or have any questions about our products please contact us in the office and we can get you taken care of.

Cheers

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA