mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Formula Brake Question

I have a set Formula T1 brakes on which the front hose is a little too short. I was hoping to change the hose out from another set of Formula The Ones. Will I need to bleed the brakes once the hoses are switches.

I know I could just give a go, but at the moment I don't have the bleed kit for formula and don't want to start the work and not be able to finish or worse yet, miss out on riding because the bike of out of commission.

mtbr member
    While not impossible I would say its highly unlikely. I would have a bleed kit handy. (I believe Avid bleed kits also work on formula but not 100% positive...might make it easier to find the kit..).

I think it is going to be tough to prevent getting air in the system after the hose is fully removed. Drip a few drops of fluid and your done.

I have found Formulas to be on the more sensitive side to air in the lines compared to others (admittedly its never a good thing regardless of brands)

mtbr member
    You'll probably need to bleed the system. I don't see how you could swap hoses without getting some air in the system, regardless of how careful you are.

The Avid bleed kits work on Formula brakes just fine.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the feedback, didn't know the Avid kits would work on the Formula brakes.

I think I still have an Avid bleed kit. My old Juicy 7s work so well I can't remember the last time I bled them. Hopefully the bleed kit didn't get thrown out or lost.

mtbr member
    Yeah, IIRC the first-gen Juicys were made by Formula. The Avid kit is a bit nicer, so if you need to buy a new kit, get the Avid one. The Avids have a sweet flange around the screw-in fitting that makes it easy to screw in while wearing gloves, and there are pinch-shut doohickies on the tubing going into the syringes.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.