mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Formula Brake Hose

Hi there,

The brake hose for my front (K24) is too short (bought the set used). Have a few questions on replacing it.

First, do I need to buy new fittings when replacing the hose? Or can the old be re-used?

Second, is Formula brand hose the only type that can be used w/ these brakes? It's rather pricey: Brake hose kit Though it does come w/ new fittings. Does the kevlar hose offer any benefits over the standard?

Finally, if I can use any brand hose...do you have any reccommendations (preferably more economical)?

Thanks!

Mark

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Might be the ideal time to upgrade to Goodridge...
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

greg@formulabrakeusa.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kramonut
    Hi there,

The brake hose for my front (K24) is too short (bought the set used). Have a few questions on replacing it.

First, do I need to buy new fittings when replacing the hose? Or can the old be re-used?

Second, is Formula brand hose the only type that can be used w/ these brakes? It's rather pricey: Brake hose kit Though it does come w/ new fittings. Does the kevlar hose offer any benefits over the standard?

Finally, if I can use any brand hose...do you have any reccommendations (preferably more economical)?

Thanks!

Mark
    I don't know what other hoses you can run, although I have heard of people running Goodridge hoses. They're not cheaper, though.

As far as fittings go, our hose kits come with a cut-able fitting so you can cut the hose to fit. The kevlar hose is technically more resistant to expansion than the standard hose, although I must admit I can't tell the different just by feel.

Best regards,
    Greg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi Greg, a question for you. Do Oro's come with different lenght hoses, because i recently got a Bianco front that came as a 85cm (new) and although i'm running it, it is too short for my 36 with riser bars- not an uncommon combo i'm sure you'll agree.

I'm using it with a Shimano 203 adaptor but if i run your 180 adaptor then the caliper is rotated down more and the hose is not long enough.

greg@formulabrakeusa.com
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    Hi Greg, a question for you. Do Oro's come with different lenght hoses, because i recently got a Bianco front that came as a 85cm (new) and although i'm running it, it is too short for my 36 with riser bars- not an uncommon combo i'm sure you'll agree.

I'm using it with a Shimano 203 adaptor but if i run your 180 adaptor then the caliper is rotated down more and the hose is not long enough.
    Hi -

There are two stock lengths for a "front" Oro - 85cm, which you have, and 100cm. In a pinch, you can also just buy a rear brake (150cm or 165cm) and cut to suit, since the brake parts are identical.

I would assume you are running it with the 203 Shimano rotor as well, but you might want to note that our "stock" size is 200mm, not 203. We actually make a 203 as well to suit forks with integrated 203 Post mount, but they're not the same. If you were going to order a rotor to use with your 203 adapter, make sure they order the 203 rotor!

Best regards,
    Greg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by greg@formulabrakeusa.com
    Hi -

There are two stock lengths for a "front" Oro - 85cm, which you have, and 100cm. In a pinch, you can also just buy a rear brake (150cm or 165cm) and cut to suit, since the brake parts are identical.

I would assume you are running it with the 203 Shimano rotor as well, but you might want to note that our "stock" size is 200mm, not 203. We actually make a 203 as well to suit forks with integrated 203 Post mount, but they're not the same. If you were going to order a rotor to use with your 203 adapter, make sure they order the 203 rotor!

Best regards,
    Greg
    When i ordered online the description said 85cm to be fair, and that did make me wonder, but a 100cm was not offered as an alternative- must be that they just didn't have the stock.

I was using them with the Shimano 203mm adaptors and Hope 'floating' rotors, although i had to file some of the caliper away to clear the rivets on the disc they then worked fine. Well atleast until the pads wore down and then the bottom edge of the pad backing plate caught on the rivets. So if i wanted to carry on using the discs then i would have to remove about 2mm off the plates every time i changed pads (the stock Bianco pads lasted two rides- about 50 miles) so i'll probably not bother then!

i just ordered the k24s in 100cm length for the front.. putting it on an intense 6.6 with 2" riser bars and van36 much like Horse's set up minus the frame..
    I measured my current avid hose length and it was about 83cm .. but maybe italians
    measures their hoses differently??? Not sure why his 85cm hose was far too short... but i
    got the 100cm just in case...... but i would really rather not be cutting hoses.