~Reformed Mechanic~

Formula Brake Help

My first time with the Formula oro 18's, so far I love them! Huge improvement over the Elixirs I was running but having a few small issues...

First, on the ORO 18's is there no way to adjust the "Throw" in the brake lever, aka The amount of lever movement before brake contact? Seems like the pull is way long till they lock up.

Also, the rear hose Is maybe 2-3" too short, I see the Formula Hose Kits are like $75. Is there any other options for just replacing the one rear hose without buying the kit, Or are there other Hose kits compatible that don't cost $75?

Any help for you Formula guys out there is Greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On my Ones the throw adjustment is a tiny allen head screw where the lever pushes down on the hydraulic cylinder. I think you can get them with knobs, but if you don't have knobs I bet you have tiny allen head screws. Or not, I haven't seen the OROs in person. There's a manual here:

Formula - Oro K18

Re the hose kit - I went down to my LBS and asked them about the end kit with the barb and the olive. The mechanic found one in a drawer and gave it to me for free - or 5$, can't remember. Anyway maybe you'll have similar luck and then you just have to get the hose.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    On my Ones the throw adjustment is a tiny allen head screw where the lever pushes down on the hydraulic cylinder. I think you can get them with knobs, but if you don't have knobs I bet you have tiny allen head screws. Or not, I haven't seen the OROs in person. There's a manual here:

Formula - Oro K18

Re the hose kit - I went down to my LBS and asked them about the end kit with the barb and the olive. The mechanic found one in a drawer and gave it to me for free - or 5$, can't remember. Anyway maybe you'll have similar luck and then you just have to get the hose.
    The allen head screw your referring to adjusts the distance the brake lever is from the bar but not the amount of pull. In other words if I tighten that screw then the level will just pull all the way to bar and brakes wont stop.

Also, Im pretty sure I can reuse the brake line ends with a new hose? Im more interested in finding some hose that will work with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got my hope brakes worked on at a bike shop and next time I crashed the hose popped off at the lever. Turns out they had reused the end. I guess YMMV on that.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Does anyone know if there is a universal Bake Hose I can use with the Formulas??

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Take a look at jagwire hyflow kits. Great reviews and lots of color options.
    Herro prease

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra View Post
    Take a look at jagwire hyflow kits. Great reviews and lots of color options.
    Thanks! Do you know if I can for sure use the Cable Ends I have on the originals with this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post

First, on the ORO 18's is there no way to adjust the "Throw" in the brake lever, aka The amount of lever movement before brake contact? Seems like the pull is way long till they lock up.
    K18 brakes has no lever throw adjustment. That is their main difference from k24's. But you can buy FCS adjustment kit seperately.

There is a link, that shows how to do it.

Knobblies MTBing Blog: Formula Oro K18 FCS adjuster conversion

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Great thanks! Now if I could figure out the Brake hose issue, Im all set!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Great thanks! Now if I could figure out the Brake hose issue, Im all set!
    Stock formula hoses don't have reusable ends, unfortunately you will have to buy a full set.

Also, a lot of people complaining about flexing issues about jagwire hyflow hoses. I suggest goodridge hose kits.

mtbr member
    I have used Avid hardware on my formulas with no problem. In fact the compression fittings look exactly the same. As mentioned you should be able to get some for free or just a few dollars at a lbs. Also, I have used Shimano brake lines successfully on my Formulas.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    I have used Avid hardware on my formulas with no problem. In fact the compression fittings look exactly the same. As mentioned you should be able to get some for free or just a few dollars at a lbs. Also, I have used Shimano brake lines successfully on my Formulas.
    This is really good info, thanks!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    So in my searching Ive come across the Clarks hydraulic hose kit. Anyone hear how these are?