Bite Me.

Formula Biancos Died - Ideas?

I just finished swapping out the pads on my 2008 Formula Oro Biancos and took them for a ride to bed in the pads. Half way down a fairly steep grade I lost all power in the front brake - nothing, nada, gone. At the point of failure, I felt a little click or movement through the lever, almost like something gave way in the caliper, master cylinder, or lever body. When I got home I tried squeezing the brake lever with the rotor out of the caliper - there's no movement of the pads or pistons at all, although the lever still moves. When I replaced the pads, I cleaned everything with denatured alcohol, pressed the pistons all the way into the caliper body and bled off a little brake fluid to open up the calipers to fit the new pads - all according to spec. Any ideas what might be going on here - I called Formula but no answer - thanks.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    Apr 2009
    wow....thats scary

mtbr member
    I doubt it's the caliper, or you'll be leaking. I'm guessing something in the MC gave. How does the lever feel compared to normal?

Bite Me.
    Problem solved but it's still a mystery - I talked with Charlie at Formula (great CS by the way) and he suggested checking the lever attachment bolt and also the fluid levels. The bolt was fine - so no issue there. When I checked the fluid level it was definitely low - so I added some more and bled out some big air bubbles. At first there was no change- I'd squeeze the lever, it would travel a few mms but still no action at the caliper - all of a sudden I got another crunch or pop feel in the lever and everything works again. Maybe there was a big air bubble in the MC, or maybe some little piece of debris in the line? Not sure, but it works OK now - I plan on watching it though. Thanks for the replies.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    It is possible to introduce air past the seals when pushing pistons back in, or when they retract, but enough to fail? Something's weird here.