mtbr member

Formula 4 piston

Universal cycles has a sweet deal on the older model Formula 4 racing brakes. Can't figure out what the differences are between that model and the current 4 piston which is called the "Extreme", and has a gold caliper instead of a bronze/brownish color. I can tell that the lever/master cylinder is different, but is it worth getting the old model for the killer price (110 each)??? Brakemeister, maybe you could help on this?

Also, what is the going price for your ORO's, and who sells them?

-Much thanks for any help!
    JC
    Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it.

Authority is dead!
    Just a suggestion, why not look at other more popular brands? Formula isn't as big as Hayes or Shimano for example (Magura as well). Just a suggestion.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    That's kind of the vibe I'm getting when reading reviews on the formulas -- really hard to find replacement parts, pads, etc. So I understand your point. I have Hayes Nines right now, and they're all I need 90 % of the time. Just trying to find something for that other 10 % of the time when I'm warping down a hill, etc.
    Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it.

Authority is dead!
    You might end up loosing 90% while searching for those 10%. Play around with pads. One metalic one semi etc...

mtbr member

I guess I would have to agree...

... I have fixed the lever "self adjusting" its reach w/ loctite, and this has worked so far. Other than the occasional bleed, my nines have been good. I think that swapping up to an 8 inch rotor in the front should solve my problems, and I can always go back if it's too much. Plus, it will give me an excuse to try their new v-cut rotors which are much sexier. Thanks for pushing my in the right direction, lucky. sometimes I get distracted by the 'bling' of 4 pistons...

Authority is dead!
    No problem. Glad it helped.

P.S. 4 pots is not a bling, 6 are.
    Last edited by Lucky13; 05-03-2005 at 08:00 PM.