mtbr member

floppy Hayes brake levers

Bought a used bike with Hayes Mag Pro but the brake levers are a bit (actually a lot) floppy. Any way to fix this? Can I bring it to a shop and how much would you expect?

Meh.
    Up and down movement? Needs new bushings. If the shop has a Hayes small parts box, it should be just a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Even better. Remove the lever, only one small bolt, pinch the lever housing at the pivot point,very slighty with some channel lock pliers, maybe use cloth so as not to scratch the housing. "Very slightly"!

Replace the lever and see if it made much difference if it didn't try some more. You will eventually get to a point where there is no play at all but the lever actually drags a bit on the return movement, if you go that far you can wiggle the lever up and down a bit and loosen it that way.

As an alternative you can place a small washer under the factory bushing to take up some space too.

I know some of this may sound a little "sketchy", but this is a common Hayes problem and this is a very easy fix.

Meh.
    You run a larger risk of damaging the lever body. For the very small cost of new bushings, I would much rather go that route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tolleyman
    Even better. Remove the lever, only one small bolt, pinch the lever housing at the pivot point,very slighty with some channel lock pliers, maybe use cloth so as not to scratch the housing. "Very slightly"!

Replace the lever and see if it made much difference if it didn't try some more. You will eventually get to a point where there is no play at all but the lever actually drags a bit on the return movement, if you go that far you can wiggle the lever up and down a bit and loosen it that way.

As an alternative you can place a small washer under the factory bushing to take up some space too.

I know some of this may sound a little "sketchy", but this is a common Hayes problem and this is a very easy fix.

Ya that advise does sound "sketchy" - do it right and replace the bushings they are the wear points.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Those are valid concerns, but I have never had a problem with it. My experience with my brakes have been that replacing the bushing doesn't do a thing. Perhaps my brake housings were alread bent or something.

mtbr member

bushings worked

fyi for all thread searchers: bushings worked...floppiness gone
    thanks all