mtbr member

New question here. Floating or Fixed Rotors?

What are the pros and cons of floating rotors and fixed rotors. I am looking at either the magura sl fixed rotors or the venti-disc rotor also by magura. I am a cross country rider looking at both front and rear in 160 mm diameter. Other than the difference in weight (floating rotors heavier), what should I know about the rotors before I decide and buy?

mtbr member
    Pass on the venti discs. They look good, but are heavy (not ideal for XC). technically a floating rotor will be more forgiving to setup, but fixed rotors are easy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. Anybody have any more tips/advice?

Riiiiiide...
    Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.. but there is no real floating rotors for mtb. The ones called 'floating' dont actually have any play like the real ones in motorbikes.. in mtb they're all fixed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.. but there is no real floating rotors for mtb. The ones called 'floating' dont actually have any play like the real ones in motorbikes.. in mtb they're all fixed.
    I think "float" is a bit of a misnomer in both cases. The rotor is affixed to the hat on my Hope 2 pieces the same way they are on a motor cycle and they do not have any play. If I understand correctly it has more to do with allowing the rotor to expand and contract separately from the mounting surface as they heat cycle to avoid warping. Also, both my 160 and 180 2 pieces felt lighter than the rotors they replaced (I didn't actually weigh them though). I don't think I'd bother though, other than looking spiffy and making nifty pinging noises as they cool I don't think they're doing anything special.

nnn
    mtbr member
    I always thought floating rotors move about by a small amount (sub mm) by bending the little aluminium buttons as oposed to sliding about.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckedrex
    If I understand correctly it has more to do with allowing the rotor to expand and contract separately from the mounting surface as they heat cycle to avoid warping.
    Correct.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of your help and advice. I think that I will go with the 160 mm magura sl rotors. Thanks again.