mtbr member

Flinstone Breaks

I'm a Born again Rider. But I'm born again from BMX. But not brand new to Mountain Biking. But I do have a decent mountain bike. In my view that is. I've had this mountain bike since I was 13. I'm 20 now. But I recently broke it out of the shed and I'm getting into Mountain Biking and back into BMX.

For some info on the bike it's a 96 or 97 GT Timberline. It's a chromoly frame, 21 speed, and Cantilever Brakes.

It's Cantilever Brakes but I like Cantilever on the Front. Coming from BMX I'm use to using the rear brake with the V-brake the break of choice. And I don't like using the front break that much. My rear brake is suffering. I need to replace the pads, cable, and all that good stuff.

What kind of pads do I use for Cantilever? Will V-brake pads work? And where can I get cable from. Is there a Magazine where it has a big listing of parts. If your into BMX I'm looking for the Equivalent of "Dan's Competition" for Mountain Bikes.

I'm clueless to Mountain Biking. And it seems I'm behind time. In both BMX and Mtn Biking. People are Beyound V-brakes and now into Disc. My only experience Mountain Biking is from years ago. When I raced BMX. If your from GA I use to ride @ and for Road and Trail in Oxford, GA. And often took the trail out there too.

But anyways if you can dust off your history books and help me here I'd appreciate it.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by smittie61984
    What kind of pads do I use for Cantilever? Will V-brake pads work? And where can I get cable from. Is there a Magazine where it has a big listing of parts. If your into BMX I'm looking for the Equivalent of "Dan's Competition" for Mountain Bikes.
    Take a look into www.koolstop.com
    They should have all the pads you need.

For cables, go to your LBS and get some teflon coated cables. Avid's Flak Jackets cable and housing are some durable and good performing ones.

Visit also places like airbomb.com or speedgoat.com which have large listings of parts.

I would strongly encourage you to change your braking habits for MTB. If you use your front brake on a 20 incher you'll prolly have an instant endo... that will not happen on a MTB. MTB is all about front braking. Mass transfer during braking puts more weight on the front tire so the traction there is pretty much higher than on a rear wheel and that will stop you faster. Besides, there's crowds of people out there trying to close some trails to MTB'ers arguing that MTB's erode the trails.... and braking with the rear wheel mostly ends 99% of time leaving a skidmark on the trail, forming ruts and ugly marks on the trails. Don't do it.

Get a full set of vee's.

Cheers!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Appreciate it. I'll eventually look into Vbrakes. I do have a free set of Vbrakes now that I think about it. Well I should say A Brake. It came off my BMX bike and I had to replace it. But there is one broken part. The spring that keeps the pads off the rim.

The type of brake it is, is a Shimano DX brake. The one with the Hi-Lo setting on the lever. Everything is in perfect working condition with the exception of one of the springs. (A funny thing is that I worked on the brakes for Hours trying to figure out what went wrong. Then I saw the broken spring. Made me a little upset. And I also found the broken spring and thought it to be an Hex wrench).

So is there a place that will have that Single working part. I don't want to pay $50 for a new set or a new brake if I can get this one working for less. I've tried all over but can't find it

And thanks again

"El Whatever"
    I would recommend you to go to your LBS. They either can have one or get you one. Just be aware that the spring could go out for 10 bucks while a decent shitmano Deore vee brake could be around 25 bux.

Work on your braking technique too!!
    Check my Site