on your left

Fixed vs. Floating Rotors?

I haven’t had to purchase new brakes in almost 10 years. My Hope Mini’s are finally ready to be replaced so excuse me if this is a dumb question but what exactly are the advantages of the Floating Rotor? Following is what I have found.

“These rotors have a stainless steel braking surface riveted to an aluminum central carrier. As well as offering a significant weight saving, they also allow the rotors to expand or contract with changes in temperature”

Do they really make a difference or is this just a bunch oh hype? My initial thoughts are one more point of failure i.e. the rivets’ getting loose.

Ps I’m about 210 lbs with gear on ride x-country / all mountain (what ever that is now) in the CO front range.

After i narrow it down - my next post is going to be for a brake recommendation

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well I have no clue what the difference is. A rotor is a rotor to me, although the extra bling would be nice.

However I will jump on your next questions. Brake reccomendation. Since you've been using Hopes for 10 years it couldn't hurt to keep on the same brand. The X2's look badass!

I've tried Juicys, Strokers, Nines, Avid Mechs and K24 and I I would definitely ride the Strokers but I'm only 140lb and I felt like I was lacking power with 160 F/R, Since you're 200 and change I would use bigger rotors but still, the Strokers aren't super powerful, modulation is great though. With the K24s and Juicys it always feels like I have power to spare, but I'll give the nod to the K24s because the modulation feels (much!) more natural and doesn't require as much finger skill.

banned
    Hope's two-piece rotors are called "Floating" due to a very significant, but generally unseen characteristic: between the hub carrier and the brake track, a small gap exists. The rotor doesn't move around because it is tightly riveted, but in a manner that when the brake track expands and contracts, it can move into and out of that small space.

This reduces heat warpage, and the tight rivets also are part of where that light "ping" or "ticking" comes from when the brakes cool. Here is a shot I took in 2006 of an older Mini rotor:

Now Magura also has a two-piece rotor, but it must be noted that it's NOT floating. The brake track is solidly pinned to the hub carrier, and it's done more for looks than anything else, since the rotor is quite heavy. They also claim it's "vented", another lie. However, their rotors are great quality, and I won't say anything about that.

Formula did two-piece rotors in the late 90's, and all those I remember on GT's had broken rivets, then they went to lightweight one piece rotors (B4 rotors that warped quite a bit) and now they are bringing back two-piece rotors as well. I can't state if they are of a "floating" design or not.

For the OP- if you have been using Hope for ten years and are happy, stick with them. They've really improved the design, performance, and CS of the entire works, plus they are easy to bleed with cheap, available anywhere DOT fluid.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I have fixed and floating rotors, and I prefer the floating rotors. They stay true better than the fixed rotors especialy when you really heat them up, with the floating set up the rotor is able to expand in a more uniform pattern/direction because the steel portion is mounted on rivets to the Al carrier so it can rotate or float instead of being fixed with a hard connection to the hub that doesn't allow rotation of the steel as well.

I would stick with the Hope brakes, if you have been happy with the set that you are looking to replace then you will be even happier with the new offerings from Hope!

on your left
    Thanks for your responses and insight regarding the rotors. Floating rotor may be worth it after all.

Yes I was considering going with Hope again, but not sure which model? Their web page is a bit confusing. I called their US HQ last week to get some insight.

They suggested the M4ís, not sure if I need all that stopping power although I am ridding at around or just over the 200lbs mark.

I may start a new thread, ask for suggestions. I was leaning toward Juicy 7ís but after reading through this forum I now have my doubts. I guess Iím looking for it all great modulation, stopping power, ease of maintenance, not too concerned with weight although light weight would also be a plus.

Thanks again

banned
    You could try what several have done, including myself, and now my gf:

We use the M4 on the front, and the Mini (now will be the X2 in the current line) on the rear.

I currently use a v2 in the front with an m4 rear.

You could go for 183 in the front, 183 in the back, and likely have all the XC power (and more) than you'll really need.

on your left
    the x2ís do look awesome but $$$$ i would most likely go with 185 rotors.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpilo
    the x2ís do look awesome but $$$$ i would most likely go with 185 rotors.

I would go M4 front and X2 rear 185 rotors all the way around .

Meh
    I built up a bike for a buddy who is about 210lbs with a 183 M4 front & 160 X2 rear. If we were to do it again, would probably go with a 160 M4 rear as he's so/so on the X2's power. Check out Wiggle for Hope prices, I saved alot of $$ getting them with the braided hoses & floating rotors.

on your left
    Thanks for the advise especially regarding Wiggle.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpilo
    Thanks for your responses and insight regarding the rotors. Floating rotor may be worth it after all.

Yes I was considering going with Hope again, but not sure which model? Their web page is a bit confusing. I called their US HQ last week to get some insight.

They suggested the M4ís, not sure if I need all that stopping power although I am ridding at around or just over the 200lbs mark.

I may start a new thread, ask for suggestions. I was leaning toward Juicy 7ís but after reading through this forum I now have my doubts. I guess Iím looking for it all great modulation, stopping power, ease of maintenance, not too concerned with weight although light weight would also be a plus.

Thanks again
    I just mounted up a set of Tech M4s on my Spot, 183/160 floating and all I can say is WOW. I am coming from another superb brake in the Formula the One. The M4s have lots of power, the lever feel is the best I have ever felt, and bleeding is actually easy and as advertised. The lever adjustments work very well too. I weigh in about 195 geared up. Modulation is fantastic as well.

PM Nevegal here on the forums for pricing, I bought my M4s and V2s from him and the service and prices were great. He is very responsive as well.

I have had juicy 7s and my brother has the Elixers. Boith have great power, but seem to always make noise.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight