Not a Barry supporter.

Fixed one Hayes problem but what's this 2nd problem?

So I was able to fix my snap ring which had bent and the 'pin' pulled through. I flattened it out and the 'pin' is stable and the lever pulls just fine. However, I added fluid and it looks like everything is set up properly when I have the bike on the stand. I rotate the wheel and the brake stops it perfectly. I did this for about 2 minutes and thought everything was cool. I get to the trail and 2 minutes into the ride, I have no brake. The lever pulls fine on the stand but then it slowly pulls almost all the way back to the bar.

Does this mean I don't have enough fluid? Or something else? I don't notice any fluid dripping out anywhere so the bladder should be connected correctly. I did notice the outer pad was slightly touching the rotor so it is moving, but the inside doesn't appear to move at all.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    How did you add fluid? Did you do a proper bleed with a bleed kit? Sounds like "AiR" still in the system. Check out Hayes website for bleeding instructions. It is common to get lots of air after you open the system, there mite be lots of air behind that non moving piston. And don't overtighten the bleed nipple on the caliper or it will smash down on the hole's inside.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    How did you add fluid? Did you do a proper bleed with a bleed kit? Sounds like "AiR" still in the system. Check out Hayes website for bleeding instructions. It is common to get lots of air after you open the system, there mite be lots of air behind that non moving piston. And don't overtighten the bleed nipple on the caliper or it will smash down on the hole's inside.

Well I've bled brakes b/4 and added fluid and haven't had this problem. When I've had air in the line b/4, I was able to do a pump action with the lever and after 5 pumps or so, the brake would work. No matter how much I pump it now, no luck. So while air is certainly possible, I'm thinking it's somethin else. I'm going to add more fluid and just keep added it until I get a steady stream flowing out of it. If that doesn't fix it, I may take it apart again. I was thinking I didn't have enough fluid in it.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    When i had lots of air the lever went straight to the bar, never tried pumping the lever to see what happened.

uofabill
    Aug 2003

I agree,

It sounds like there is still air in the system somewhere. Some times it is really hard to get it all out.
    Have you tried tapping the hose, caliper, and lever/master/cylinder while forcing fluid through the system?
    Do you suck back a small amount of fluid and possibly air out of the caliper after you connect your bleed kit to the caliper and before you start pushing fluid through?
    Are you sure your lever/bleed screw is the highest point in the system when you start bleeding?
    Something else to try is to carefully pump your brake lever with the rotor out of the caliper to push the caliper pistons out. Not fully. Then do another bleed. This allows you to force additional fluid into the system/master cylinder. When you are done with the bleed, carefully push the pistons back into place with the plastic spacer that Hayes provides or with a 10 mm box end wrench.