mtbr member

First sign of minor XT brake squealing

I built a new bike in March and have 2013 XT brakes installed. They have been utterly flawless since installed.

A few days ago, however, I started to hear some faint squealing when lightly applying the rear brake.

Now, I came from Avid BB7s so I know brake squeal. My BB7s were loud enough to fell trees and squealed constantly. But the XT squeal is very different.

When lightly applied or heavily applied, there is no squeal. It's just at a certain mid-range pressure that they squeal. The squeal itself is faint and doesn't get louder.

Is there something simple to do to eliminate this? Since it's minor and there hasn't been a squeal up until now, I'm wondering if it's just pad wear or something that can be easily corrected.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Double check the brake hose banjo fitting. I would think that this issue is history now, but that did cause brake squeel when my front brake hose banjo fitting started leaking. Other than that, my XT 785 brakes are quiet under all conditions.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Clean the rotors with 91% alcohol, see if that helps. Maybe the rotors are a little glazed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Might also help if you scrub/sand the pads very slightly against a completely flat surface when cleaning the rotors. I had a few small grits of sand embedded in mine and it caused very light squealing on my M785 rear some weeks back, it's completely gone still.