POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

First marta problem

My rear marta spit the line out of the lever/master cylinder assembly when I grabbed the brake. I heard a little "click" and there was fluid oozing around where the line enters the lever/mc assembly and the line just pulled free. The round compression thingy had slipped down to the end of the insert. I cut off a bit of line and used a new compression ferule (or whatever it is called) and insert and it promptly spit the line out again early in my ride. Any ideas?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Did you install the olive yourself? It's possible that the olvie when compressed didn't completly seal on the cable (hose wasn't fully pushed in when tightened down) and as time went on pushed the cable out.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I did install the olive - so operator error is quite possible! I did try to follow the instructions carefully and the thing worked for a year. I've decided that perhaps I didn't tighten it down enough so have tried to tighten this install down more. I don't have a torque wrench that will fit that sort of fitting.

pbj
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not a biggie, just review the olive on the ones that have popped out and note the degree of compression. Since it uses a barb to reinforce the tube about the only reason it would pop out is due to under tightening. You really have to tighten the crap out of it ~ 35 in/lbs, that'd be 12-15 lbs on the end of a small open end wrench. Also be sure to bleed the lines really good otherwise the brakes will feel spongy and pad might drag.

Good Luck..

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Thanks for the tips - All seems to be well now. I also read about the importance of making sure the line is firmly bottomed out while threading in the compression nut. I did get to practice my bleeding skills.